Shock deposits / lumps - will an acid wash cure this?

Jul 21, 2015
Tempe, Az
Not sure if it was the previous owners being lazy, or the realtor not knowing pools, but it looks like i have lumps all over the pool caused by shock not dissolving properly? I'll try and get an underwater picture, but they are basically lumpy things that i can scrape off with a putty knife, and they dissolve. But, they are everywhere. They are gray with white hard deposits in the middle, and everywhere!!!!

the pool needs a good acid wash anyway, but I can't do that for a couple months since it's so hot right now. Wondering if that will cure it? Maybe I'll try and carefully remove one and see if muriatic acid dissolves it.

Brett_N,

Just food-for-thought here - read user @OnBalance's post about calcium nodules. Since you did not control the pool prior to getting the house, there's no telling what was done previously. Calcium scaling is always a possibility.

Good luck.

I used a pumice stone to knock away calcium "nodules" in my spa once before. They were on the spa seat and walls.....not real big. About the size of a sunflower seed kernel or less. My wife was happy because the calcium deposits were ruining the bottom of here expensive bathing suits. I'd need to maintain it about 1x per year.
The pool was kept pretty well balanced (usually!!!).

I used a pumice stone to knock away calcium "nodules" in my spa once before. They were on the spa seat and walls.....not real big. About the size of a sunflower seed kernel or less. My wife was happy because the calcium deposits were ruining the bottom of here expensive bathing suits. I'd need to maintain it about 1x per year.
The pool was kept pretty well balanced (usually!!!).

That's not surprising. Spa water chemistry is easily thrown off and can become scaling. Usually you lower the pH and TA a bit before soaking to abate some of the pH rise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.