Wallside Return Height

Jul 21, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Long time lurker - first time post.

Without exception, all of the PBs that I've talked to are pushing the in-floor cleaning system. However, after reading through a ton of posts on TFP, I'm planning on going with a robot. The one thing about the in-floor cleaning systems that intrigues me is the argument about better circulation.

So, here's my question - what do you think about getting the wallside returns (say 6x) installed at the very bottom of the wall? Say 1ft off the bottom with directional eyeballs? That way, I'd get some of the benefits of improved circulation, while still keeping the horizontal rotation of the pool?

I noticed someone already asked about returning all of the water through the bottom, but there was some concern about circular rotation within the pool (see thread below):

Plumb Return Lines to BOTTOM of Pool?

Is there a standard height off the floor that might work? I'd LOVE to get your opinions!!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I think returns are pretty standard @ 12" below the waterline. I also think you can put them wherever you like.

Additionally, I also think you are wise to choose a robot. a PB suggesting an in-floor is puzzling.....they don't seem very reliable.

Do you anticipate an issue with circulation? Standard shaped pools have few circulation issues as a rule.

OPM - thank you for the response!

Ahhhh - your point about the skimmers makes a lot of sense.

From what I've seen on the forum, it looks like most people are recommending at least 2 skimmers and 2x more returns than skimmers (i.e. at least 4 returns).

Would you think that placing two returns at 12" below the surface and two more at 12" from the bottom would feed the skimmers sufficiently? I realize that I'm asking for a lot without a ton of background information. I appreciate the help though - I'm looking to form a (slightly) informed opinion before I fight the PBs about the in-floor systems.

I think the in-floor system would be a bad option for me, especially considering that our main source of debris will be tree leaves in the fall.

THANKS AGAIN! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.