Spring is near...time to make some changes

Mar 18, 2008
Garden State
Hopefully everyone had a good winter, I have been away from pool mode for a few months since it is still pretty cold in NJ and we just had 10" of snow earlier this week, though it is supposed to warm up this weekend. With spring drawing near it is time to get back into pool mode and do some upgrades here and there.

After being on the fence for a year or so, we just signed a contract to add a solar heat system (600 sq ft Heliocol panels). I am thinking it is time to upgrade our old pump to a new higher efficient one at the same time, then have a nice new controller to control both. Is the new Pentair IntelliFlo VS SVRS overkill or worth the money? From my old pump, running 14 hrs or so per day, what real-world savings can I anticipate percentage wise versus what I am spending now, ie will the new pump pay for itself the first year or am I waiting for to see the rewards 3 or 4 years from now.

I don't know if it helps or not, but I attached an old picture of our plumbing to give you an idea of what's there.

At the same time I am doing this work I am thinking of removing our old gas heater which we have never turned on since we moved in. I assume there are positives and negatives to this, which out-weigh the other?

As always, thanks in advance for the information.

Attachments

• Plumbing Details.jpg
    Plumbing Details.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 265
When setup properly the IntelliFlo VS can save you about 75% of your monthly electric costs for running the pump, ie the electric costs because of the pump will be 1/4 of what they were before. However, adding in the solar system will require you to run the pump at a higher speed, so the savings won't be that large when the solar system is on.

Removing the heater will improve the flow rate, but only by a very small amount, it also eliminates one of the things that needs winterizing. The only disadvantage is that you won't be able to use it, which isn't much of an issue if you aren't using it right now.

When you change out the pump, make the line into the suction side longer. At least 8" of straight pipe leading to the pump.

The Intelliflo is great, but IMO you're better off going with the VF and adding a Vac-Alert if you're worried about entrapment issues. It will cost more but you'll be getting the best of each. The VS SVRS is a "dumb" version of the Intelliflo in that it doesn't know how much water it's pumping, just the RPM. And the problem with any electronic SVRS is that even though it will cut off the pump, it doesn't break the suction on the line so someone can still stay stuck. The Vac Alert allows air into the line to break the hold.

I'd keep the gas heater. Maybe add a bypass so water doesn't have to flow through it all the time. The way I see it, if you have it, keep it, you may want to use it someday.

Not to hijack the thread, but what it the purpose of a straight section of pipe before the pump basket?

HTH,
Adam

launboy said:
Not to hijack the thread, but what it the purpose of a straight section of pipe before the pump basket?

Hydraulics. I'm just repeating what they've told me, but in seminars manufacturers usally say something like this excerpt from the Intelliflo manual:
Do not install 90° elbows directly into pump inlet or outlet. A valve, elbow or tee installed in the suction line
should be no closer to the front of the pump than five (5) times the suction line pipe diameter (i.e., two (2)
inch pipe requires a ten (10) inch straight run in front of the suction inlet of the pump). This will help the
pump prime faster and last longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.