low salt/yellow greenish water

Jul 5, 2015
Birmingham, AL
I've added 35lbs of salt, turned the SWG off, and am leaving the regular pump running to dissolve the salt.
Should I put regular Clorox in the pool? Or i have a crazy question I know: Should we go ahead and turn the SWG back on and "boost" or it probably wouldn't work right until the salt dissolves?

Always maintain your chlorine level at target level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart or algae will grow and you will need to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain the pool to get rid of the algae.

If the SWG isn't working or keeping up then by all means add bleach. I add bleach to my pool pretty often to keep chlorine above target.

The salt will need some time and some brushing around to dissolve before it will clear the low salt error. Sometimes the Intex SWG gives a low salt error when the cell needs to be cleaned. So, depending on how old or how long it has been since it was cleaned you might check that first.

Thanks for your reply. Got the water tested yesterday, everything was perfect except chlorine level. They said it's not producing chlorine (duh right?) obviously because it was saying low salt. The Pool store said my salt level was HIGH not low, so I was thinking yesterday it was a sensor error on my SWG. I bought 2lbs of Dichlor, they said to add one pound to my pool last night and the other pound Sunday. So, before we did that I cleaned out the pool and we also cleaned out both filters. We even referred to the manual on reference to maintenance and cleaned out the SWG with vinegar on the sensors. Thankfully after we did that, the low salt error was gone! The pool looked clear this morning but now a bad thunderstorm is coming through (again) 2nd one in two days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.