Understanding OmniLogic control of TCell 15

Jun 29, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Pool is a little over a month old. I started up the SWG yesterday. I've never used a SWG before and want to make sure I have done everything correctly and it is working as it is suppose to.

Added salt to pool (goal was to get it to 3000 - I'm close, will check again tonight) on 07/20/15 at about 1600

Using K1766 Salt Test Kit by Taylor.

I plugged in the TCell to the OmniLogic.

My Pool filter pump currently operates from 0800-1700 daily. I scheduled the SWG to do the same.

I looked at the diagnostics on the OmniLogic screen and later on at the diagnostics screen on the Android App.

It would be super helpful if someone could explain what each entry on the screen indicates and what I should be looking for in regards to each entry. Or is there some literature from Hayward which explains this stuff? There was nothing in the OmniLogic instructions that I could find and zero instructions were in the box with the TCell.

Attached are what I observed.

These two pics are from the OmniLogic screen shortly after I started the SWG

07/20/15 at 2015
20150720_201523.jpg

07/20/15 at 2017

20150720_201523.jpg

Then here are two screen shots from my android app:

07/21/15 at 0158

Screenshot_2015-07-21-01-58-07.png

07/21/15 at 0752

Screenshot_2015-07-21-07-52-57.png

07/21/15 at 1637

Screenshot_2015-07-21-16-37-59.png

Thanks for any help.

Cell temperature should be the water temperature.

Instant salt is the current salt reading. Ideally, that should be between 3,000 and 3,400 ppm.
Note that instant salt can be affected by locally high concentrations such as when adding salt to a pool and it gets sucked up by a main drain and creates high levels in the system. The cell should be turned off when adding salt to avoid salinity spikes causing the cell current to spike.

Average salt is a running average of the instant salt readings. Ideally, that should be between 3,000 and 3,400 ppm.

Cell voltage should be between 30 and 34 volts DC when not generating.
Cell voltage should be between 24 and 28 volts DC when generating.

Cell current should be 0 amps when not generating.
Cell current should be between 6 and 8 amps when generating.
If the current gets to 8 amps, the cell will be shut down with a high salt/amps error.
The amps are dependant on water temperature and salt level.
Higher water temperature creates more amps because the electrolysis process works better in warmer water. With warmer water, you want to keep the salinity lower to avoid triggering the high salt/amps error.

Cell type should match your cell type T-15.

Polarity indicates if power is being sent to the cell and in which direction. There are 13 titanium plates in the cell. The center plate is connected to a wire going to the power supply and the two outer plates are connected to two wires going to the power supply. Half the time the center plate is the negatively charged cathode creating hydrogen gas, and the outer plates are the positively charged anodes creating chlorine gas and half the time the polarity is reversed.

The omnilogic also reverses the polarity of the cell to "clean" the cell off from scaling, so that is the difference between off and "k1".

In my opinion the instant and average salt readings on my omnilogic seem to vary a lot, but as long as it is producing coloring and the controller is happy, then I am not going to change anything. Trust your test kit for the salt, but if the omnilogic is happy, don't change the salt level by to much.

The amount that the cell runs is determined by the percentage that the cell is set to. For example, if the setting is 50 %, then the cell will run half the time and be off half the time. There is a flow detector. It should indicate "Flow" or "No flow". If it says "No flow", then the VSP is too low, or the filter is dirty, or a combination of both or another issue.

For relay polarity, off means not currently generating, K1 means generating, and I'm not sure, but I would think that there would be another polarity such as K2.

Reactions: al.martin
The amount that the cell runs is determined by the percentage that the cell is set to. For example, if the setting is 50 %, then the cell will run half the time and be off half the time. There is a flow detector. It should indicate "Flow" or "No flow". If it says "No flow", then the VSP is too low, or the filter is dirty, or a combination of both or another issue.
Does the omni logic show flow or no flow somewhere?

How does it know when 50% is if you simply turn it on - not in a schedule?

^^^ what he said, unless you have the sense and dispense unit and have it controlling the chlorination with the orp reading, but that is not recommended and you should use the percentage instead. It takes a while to dial it in perfect, but once you know how long your pump needs to run and what percentage to set it at, then it all runs pretty smooth

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Trial and error, start out at say 50%, and check your FC levels every day, if it won't hold what you want then bump the percentage up to produce more chlorine or down for less, if you change how long your pump runs then it will also affect chlorine output, so try to keep your pump on the same schedule.

Should my goal be to add salt to pool until I get a reading of 3000 ppm on my Taylor test kit? Then let the SWG do the rest? How often should I check salt with the Taylor kit? If it's below 3000 should I add more? If I understand correctly, it's best to ignore the salt concentration numbers on the SWG.

Salt should be at least 2,800 on the box. Then, I would suggest to add salt based on the amp reading. If the salt is below 2,800 ppm or the amps are below 6, I would add enough salt to meet those minimum levels. I would try to keep the amps below 7.2.

Thanks everyone for your assistance and guidance. Another question.

I have my pool filter set to run from 0800-1700 daily. I set the SWG to the same time schedule. However, when I look at the omnilogic app screen or the omnilogic screen (outside of the scheduled hours) it shows that the chlorinator is "on". Anyone have any idea if that is normal? See the screen shots below. The first one is the screen showing it is on. I then have a shot of the diagnostic page. There is no flow, so obviously the SWG is not actually "on". But should it be showing "on".

Screenshot_2015-07-22-20-48-13.png

Screenshot_2015-07-22-20-48-32.png

No help on your question and don't want to take this thread off topic but I really like the Omni-logic look and data it reports back. I've been somewhat disappointed with Screen Logic and the Screen Logic app, almost looks like they released it early and have yet to complete it. Very nice.

I spoke with Hayward today and their response was that since the SWG is on the schedule it will always indicate "ON". They said "otherwise it won't turn on at the scheduled time".

Can anyone who has OmniLogic and a TCell verify that theirs operates the same way. Basically, the chlorinator shows "ON" 24 hours a day (including times when it is not scheduled to be "ON")?

Thank you

I don't have mine set up on a schedule, but have it set at 35%, whenever I open the iPhone app it always shows it as "chlorination on", but I go by the actual amperage reading to tell if it is producing chlorine or not. So yes mine always says chlorination is on, but that doesn't really matter to me as long as my FC levels are where I want them to be and I have the ability to see if the cell is actually producing chlorine or is idle.

heatdissipation, thanks.

So, it would seem putting the Tcell on a schedule is kind of worthless? If it is "ON" all the time. Might be better to just set it like you do and that's it. I'm going to run a test and turn on my filter outside of the schedule and see if the Tcell starts chlorinating at all outside of the schedule.

I turned on filter outside of the normal schedule. The T Cell does appear to chlorinate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.