Understanding OmniLogic control of TCell 15

heatdissipation, thanks.

So, it would seem putting the Tcell on a schedule is kind of worthless? If it is "ON" all the time. Might be better to just set it like you do and that's it. I'm going to run a test and turn on my filter outside of the schedule and see if the Tcell starts chlorinating at all outside of the schedule.

I turned on filter outside of the normal schedule. The T Cell does appear to chlorinate.

Mine behaves the same way. I believe it will chlorinate whenever the pump is on - or maybe it's technically whenever the flow switch detects flow? I called Hayward about this when I initially got the system up and programmed, and was confused by the fact that I had set a "schedule" for the chlorinator, but yet it was "ON" all the time. I was told that the schedule for the chlorinator is not used / would be ignored, and doesn't need to be set up. In my opinion this is a User Interface bug (i.e. if you don't need a schedule, and it is ignored, then it shouldn't even be an option).

Also, I've only had the Omnilogic for a month or two, and it's been mostly pretty hot out, but a couple nights the outdoor temps dropped a bit, and I woke up to a "T-Cell Low Temp Alarm" or something to that effect - which happened when the pump was off (and the temps in the SWG / pipes probably dropped due to the water sitting idle). I would think this alarm should be filtered out by the system - when the pump is not running, the SWG should be OFF, and it shouldn't generate a low-temp alarm.

Just yesterday I got a "Clean T-Cell" alarm (or something similar) that I cleared manually. Does anyone now if that is just a periodic alarm, or whether it means that the OmniLogic detected something from the cell that indicates it needs cleaning? I've had the cell since the beginning of last summer and it has not been cleaned yet...

I know the older Hayward SWG setups have a periodic alarm to remind you to inspect the cell. Roughly 3 months. I assume the omni is the same.

The SWG schedule could be useful if your pump was not on the same length of time everyday, like with solar or heater extend turned on. You could ensure the chlorine output was the same each day by having a time set shorter than the pump run time.

I have set my chlorinator at 75%. With that my FC tests between 4 and 4.5 Does 75% seem too high? Pump runs 8 hrs a day. VS pump runs 2 hrs on high and 6 hrs on low.
Sounds reasonable for your size pool. Use PoolMath to calculate how much FC you are adding each day.

1.4 pounds chlorine gas * .75 * 8/24 * 16 = number of oz of chlorine gas to enter in the effects of adding chemicals section.

I have set my chlorinator at 75%. With that my FC tests between 4 and 4.5 Does 75% seem too high? Pump runs 8 hrs a day. VS pump runs 2 hrs on high and 6 hrs on low.

That's within the range of what mine is set to. I typically start the season around 50%, and then bump it up slowly towards ~75% as the weather gets warmer / sunnier (based on my FC readings) to keep the FC in the ~3-5 range. My EcoStar pump runs 12hrs a day at low speed (except 30 minutes at the beginning of the day when I run at high speed). My pool is probably about 25K gallons, with a T-15 cell.

In reading through this long post I have two comments. First, remember the % set is the amount of time the chlorinator is producing chlorine during a 3 hr cycle. Second, the on means it is enabled for operation.
Thank you for your reply. Is there anywhere in the literature the information you provided can be found? I have never seen it. Don't you think this is valuable information? If not for the consumer, definitely, for the professional. I find much of the Hayward literature lacking in information.

Have any of you using Omnilogic figured out how to recalibrate the salt reading on the cell? Mine is reading 2700. Test strips says 3000. Pool store says 3400. I know with PH if your reading differs from the test kit you can adjust it. I can't find anything similar for salt. I know the older Aquarite system had a calbration option.

Have any of you using Omnilogic figured out how to recalibrate the salt reading on the cell? Mine is reading 2700. Test strips says 3000. Pool store says 3400. I know with PH if your reading differs from the test kit you can adjust it. I can't find anything similar for salt. I know the older Aquarite system had a calbration option.
I do not think the Hayward SWGs have ever had a true re-calibration option. All you can do is override the salt level average with the instantaneous salt reading ... and that would happen all by itself in a day or two if the salt level had truly changed.

BTW, my SWG consistently reports a salt level that is 600-800ppm lower than what I get with the Taylor drop salt test. I just live with it and keep track of the relative changes ... if they start to divert more, then I know the SWG cell is possibly starting to go bad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We constantly are educating the trade on how the cycle works. We used to give this information to the consumers and it caused much confusion and misunderstanding of how it works. The last post is right, there is now way to recalibrate the salt level. The best thing is to lock in the instant slat reading. Also, never rely 100% on the units salt reading, always test with a reliable test kit.

Reviving a old thread but wanted to answer a specific question I found in here asked quite a few times.

There is no "Flow" indicator (yet!) for the P-KIT flow switch to show that it is working BUT the pool temperature display is directly linked to it and will ONLY display a temp if the Flow Sensor is on.

So as long as you have a pool temp being displayed, your flow switch is working.

Note that the default 600 rpm for the VSP pump is not enough GPM to trip the flow switch. According to a previous post by Hayward you need 14 to 15 GPM to trip it. Install a Flowvis (or other make) to see how many Gallons per Minute you are creating and then adjust your Low/Med/High settings to what you need.

Cheers
Tim

Bringing this thread from the dead. I was wondering about the exact same thing over last weekend, and found the answer here. My SWCG is always "On", and it will only turn on when the pump runs regardless of what SWCG schedule I setup. Seems like SWCG schedule is useless, and SWCG is solely depended by the pump on/off trigger. Being a software developer, this really bothers me, but oh well...

Bringing this thread from the dead. I was wondering about the exact same thing over last weekend, and found the answer here. My SWCG is always "On", and it will only turn on when the pump runs regardless of what SWCG schedule I setup. Seems like SWCG schedule is useless, and SWCG is solely depended by the pump on/off trigger. Being a software developer, this really bothers me, but oh well...
I wanted to post this in case anyone was trying to schedule their SWCG. It does work, once you understand a couple of things. The SWCG must be set to on. The schedule must be within the times of the filter pump (Not starting and ending at the same time). The Omnilogic sets the SWCG to its last state after the schedule is finished, which is similar to how the heater schedule works. So if you had manually put your SWCG to 50% and the schedule calls for 50% you will never see a change. If you set your SWCG manually to 0% and then set your schedule to the level that you want, say 50%, the SWCG will go to the scheduled setting at the preset time and then return to 0% at the end of the schedule. Please note that the SWCG always shows that it is enabled, but it will not actually be running as you will see it go to 0% and you will not see the generating icon moving when it is at 0%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.