Should I SLAM more?

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
So, I have been battling High CYA since I moved in last year (end of June) and of course, I did not know that I had an issue until I joined TFP. I tried Bio-Active (http://http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/93982-Testing-bio-active), added two bags at different times, the first time, results are on that link above. The second time, it was basically worthless. I gave up, and started to do partial drains, for a couple of weekends, and finally, this past weekend I was able to lower my CYA to 50. All good, but then I started to get Algae, so as soon as I noticed, I started SLAM.

Last night my pool passed OCLT with 0 loss (with pump on 24hrs), but today, the loss of chlorine during the day was very high, about 8ppm. Should I be worried that there's still something in the pool? Should I continue to SLAM? I never had CYA this low, this is my first pool, and it's very hot here in South Florida. So, I am not sure what my loss during the day should be, but I think 8ppm is too much, no?

This is my test results since I first noticed the algae. I am using liquid chlorine 10% from Leslie's.

Updated test results as of 7/26 (afternoon)

2015-07-24_0824.jpg

2015-07-26_1456.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Alex,
8ppm does seem high. Its hot and sunny here in texas too, and I experience about 4 ppm loss in a day.

How does your water look? Is it completely clear? It should be crystal clear.
I certainly would do another OCLT.

There shouldn't be algae growing in the filter, there is no sun and good water flow. Do you have a light, ladder, auto cleaner or anything else that algae could be hiding in?

Yes, one screw at the top and a tab at the bottom. Scrub the light capsule and all inside the niche. You can leave the light out on a towel on the deck for a day or two so water can flow in the niche and scrub it some more.

It passed OCLT with 1ppm loss this morning (updated the image on the original post above). I think that's very tight, and CC is still at 0.5 - or at least it seems that way to me. Since chlorine is high, the test water kind of becomes yellowish/brownish instead of completely clear when I add enough reagent, I guess that's normal? But it makes it difficult for me to test CC at that point.

I will work on the light this afternoon when I get back from work. Hopefully, it will be clean :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It seems like it gets worse before It will get better. On the afternoon of the 23rd I removed light, and scrubbed inside the niche. Lots of dark gray smokey like stuff floated away. After that, the FC started to get eaten very aggressively, so I have been trying to maintain it above 20ppm. This morning I added enough chlorine to raise it to 30ppm. The weirdest thing is that the water is crystal clear, but I guess that's normal too. BTW, I have updated the image on the original post above, but I can't seem to find a way to change the size it gets displayed here. So, it's a little hard to read.

its always the light it seems. removing the light really should be in the SLAM directions, it seems no one can finish SLAM without removing it. I know I had to as well and it seems to always happen. same story usually...getting so close, water is crystal clear but FC still getting eaten up. we should tell people to remove the light at the beginning.

Shoot! I completely missed brushing it for the past 2/3 days. I brushed it the first couple of days, then completely forgot about it. I am usually eager to get testing and adding chlorine as soon as I get back from work, and then doing other house stuff, that brushing was completely neglected for the past couples of days. Just brushed it and I will make sure it gets brushed everyday until this is done. Thanks!

6 days into it, and no light at the end of the tunnel!

Since 7/24 I started to keep FC at 30 to see if that helps, but so far, it seems that I am still losing around 1.5/2ppm chlorine per hour during the day. Pool is clean - the water is crystal clear. Filter is clean. Ladder and lights are clean (I left the light out all day yesterday). Skimmer is clean. Not sure what else to do, except to just keep dumping chlorine in it, and hope it will get stable.

One thing I did do though. I opened my main drain, I thought maybe there could be algae in it? Not sure, but now it's 50% drain, 50% skimmer.

P
6 days into it, and no light at the end of the tunnel!

Since 7/24 I started to keep FC at 30 to see if that helps, but so far, it seems that I am still losing around 1.5/2ppm chlorine per hour during the day. Pool is clean - the water is crystal clear. Filter is clean. Ladder and lights are clean (I left the light out all day yesterday). Skimmer is clean. Not sure what else to do, except to just keep dumping chlorine in it, and hope it will get stable.

One thing I did do though. I opened my main drain, I thought maybe there could be algae in it? Not sure, but now it's 50% drain, 50% skimmer.
I just saw this thread, so I'm coming into it a little late.

FC loss during the day really has no bearing on the SLAM. Remember, once you are above your minimum FC level chlorine loss is a percentage, not a fixed amount. So the higher you take the number, the higher your ppm FC loss will be. If you assume. 50% loss per hour on a sunny day with your 30FC you could lose 10-12 easily. Had you left it at 20 the loss might only be 6-8.

If you have passed all three SLAM criteria (clear water, CC less than .5 and pass OCLT) then let the pool come down to normal levels. If you have a massive loss at normal levels then we may have a problem, but when the FC is highly elevated a higher loss is to expected during the day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.