Hayward Spinner Assembly

Jul 21, 2015
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just bought a house with an inground pool and I'm a first time pool owner. When I was diving to the bottom I noticed a screw was dislodged on one of the inlets in the bottom of the pool, on closer examination the inlet was made up of grate, covering what is identified as a Hayward Spinner Assembly/Inlet. When the pump is on water is blown out of this inlet. I went to tighten the cover back down (which has an o ring underneath it), but didn't know if it should be water tight or left loose so there is a good flow of water.

Hayward SP-1423, SP-1424, SP-1425 Wall/Floor Inlet Parts - INYOPools.com

I'm puzzled by the questions 1) If this is just another return why is there a cover; 2) Why would there be an o ring if this wasn't suppose to be tightened down water tight; and 3) If this is connected to my pump, why would I want to shut it off.

Just trying to think through this logically I reasoned that the cover is to prevent debris from entering the inlet when the pump is off, but then I can't understand why there would be an oring under the

My main question is should I leave the cover fairly loose, or should it be tightened down as much as possible.

So far the internet and pool supply shops have not been helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DRB

Welcome to TFP.

Let's see if we can get you an answer... :bump:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.