My numbers are:

1 2 FC
2 4 TC
1 2 CC
7.4 Ph
120 alkalinity
200 calcium hardness
120 CYA

First, I don't understand the 2 numbers on the Chlorine part of the tube. Does 1 2 mean it's between 1 and 2?

Second, I now know my CYA is so high because of the trichlor tabs I've been using. I am going to drain some and refill. So how much bleach do I need to add every night to maintain a level of 3 FC?

I also have a little bit of algae in spots. I think I saw on this site that algaecides don't really work. Is that true? Will the bleach alone kill it?

Thanks for any help you can give me! I have been battling low Ph and high CYA since we built the pool 2 years ago and I knew something wasn't right but didn't know what. Pool stores were no help at all. Thanks again!

Hello and welcome! To answer your questions:
- Can you confirm which test kit you used please?
- Regardless of whether the FC/CC were 1.2 or 1 and a half, FC is low which is allowing algae to grow. You will need to do our "SLAM". But first ..
- As you said, partial drain to lower CYA. Ideal CYA level for a SLAM is 30, but that may be several partial drains. If you only get to 50 or so, we'll go with that.
- Look at this Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. It tells you what your new FC Target and SLAM/Shock FC levels will be based on your new CYA after the drain(s).
- After the drain(s), check to get your PH at about 7.2 to prepare for the SLAM

That's when you can Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

But we really need to know what test kit you are using for these numbers. If it's not a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, everything may be in vain if the numbers are not accurate. Pool store and test strips are not reliable. Let us know and we'll try to help. Welcome to TFP!

- - - Updated - - -

PS - YES, bleach will kill the algae. :) Regular stuff, generic is fine, but we have to make sure you add it in the correct amount based on that CYA chart.

I used Taylor K-2005 test kit.

How do I drain without it going below the skimmer?

Hello and welcome! To answer your questions:
- Can you confirm which test kit you used please?
- Regardless of whether the FC/CC were 1.2 or 1 and a half, FC is low which is allowing algae to grow. You will need to do our "SLAM". But first ..
- As you said, partial drain to lower CYA. Ideal CYA level for a SLAM is 30, but that may be several partial drains. If you only get to 50 or so, we'll go with that.
- Look at this Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. It tells you what your new FC Target and SLAM/Shock FC levels will be based on your new CYA after the drain(s).
- After the drain(s), check to get your PH at about 7.2 to prepare for the SLAM

That's when you can Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

But we really need to know what test kit you are using for these numbers. If it's not a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, everything may be in vain if the numbers are not accurate. Pool store and test strips are not reliable. Let us know and we'll try to help. Welcome to TFP!

- - - Updated - - -

PS - YES, bleach will kill the algae. :) Regular stuff, generic is fine, but we have to make sure you add it in the correct amount based on that CYA chart.

With the Taylor K-2005, you will need to supplement it with the FAS-DPD from TFTestkits.net. This product is the only way to accurately test FC and CC at accurate/high levels required. They ship fast too!

To drain,... do you have a main drain as well? Different options include:
- Filter to "waste" from main drain
- Use a sump-pump to drain
- Siphon with a couple garden hoses
- Siphon with the vacuum hose itself. Attach it to the vacuum head for weight, feed it down slowly to let it fill, cap it with your hand, and quickly haul it out and over and below the water level inside if possible.

Maybe some other draining ideals will come in as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.