How long pool needs to run before testing

Jun 26, 2013
Texas City, TX
I plan to take chem geek's advice and break up 24hr run time. When is best to test? He's suggested like two 4 hr and two 3 hr segments. I add my bleach around midnite, and was testing right before. I have several days during week that does not get me home before 10 pm. Crazy schedule! I was liking not having to test or add chemicals in am before work. Would appreciate continued advice, chem geek. These were your suggested times:

10AM - 2PM 4 hours
4PM - 7PM 3 hours
10PM - 2AM 4 hours
5AM - 8AM 3 hours

I like what you are currently doing. You can test anytime really. The key is to allow your pump to run about 30 minutes prior to testing so your water is mixed well to give you a good reading. Many people will do this about the same time they plan on adding chemicals. Many chose the evening to test and add chemicals, especially if they manually add bleach, since they want the bleach to work specifically against organics in the water and not battle with the sunlight. Inevitably though, it may depend on your schedule and whatever works best for you. I think you are on the right track. :)

Test whenever is convenient for you and move the on-times around if need be so that the pump is running for at least 30 minutes prior to your testing.

The only reason I'm suggesting cutting down run time and making up a bit with some high speed is that I want to reduce the amount of time your spillover is active since that is the primary source of pH rise. If we can cut down that time to roughly half, that should cut the pH rise down significantly as well. I think your poor circulation areas will still do OK because they won't be without circulation for more than 3 hours at any time throughout the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.