Proteam Supreme dosage

I can't find the link for chem geek's spreadsheet.
I wonder if the following dosing procedure is right:

1. Use the Pool Calculator to calculate the amount of boric acid needed to raise borates to 50 ppm.

2. Use BA 93% by weight of this amount, and use 20 Mule Team Borax 7% by weight of this amount .

It is normally fine to just use all boric acid. Boric acid is only very mildly acidic. As long as your PH starts at 7.5 or higher you will be fine, especially if your PH tends to drift up over time. However, if you want to be completely PH neutral, it is closer to 92% boric acid and 8% borax.

I'm at pH 7.3-7.4 and I don't want to go higher because I use the Liqiudator and a lower pH is better for preventing the WS.
Maybe I'll shoot even for pH 7.2.
BTW, I already ordered the BA and I'll dose with both borates and 2000 ppm salt as an attempt to achieve the "best water feel".
This season I need the comfort of my pool more than ever.

Water_man said:
I can't find the link for chem geek's spreadsheet.
I wonder if the following dosing procedure is right:

1. Use the Pool Calculator to calculate the amount of boric acid needed to raise borates to 50 ppm.

2. Use BA 93% by weight of this amount, and use 20 Mule Team Borax 7% by weight of this amount .
The link to the spreadsheet is near the bottom of the first post in the link that frustratedpoolmom gave (namely, here). However, my spreadsheet doesn't having anything specifically for ProTeam Supreme Plus so would be similar to The Pool Calculator. As Jason noted, just use Boric Acid in the calculator or my spreadsheet and you'll get roughly the correct result. You could do the mixed calculation that you described, but I think that's overkill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Calcium does not interact with boric acid, you can do them in either order. If you were using borax you would want to wait to do the calcium until several days afterwards.

Boric acid doesn't seem to care too much about how you apply it. I like to pre-dissolve things, but I have seen several application methods all work.

Borates will stay in the water until you replace water. Depending on how much water replacement you do, 50 ppm will usually be enough for an entire season and you will usually start the next season with noticeably more than half of that still there.

Can you tell me how much of the Proteam Supreme Plus that I would need to add borates into a new TFP pool? I have about 18000 gallons in my 18x33 AB Pool.

also, how long do I need to wait after I get my FC up, TA and PH right before I add the borates?

Is it okay to use up my existing tri-chlor tablets that I have left or should I throw them away and start using the liquid chlorine now?

Thanks.

lgdods said:
Can you tell me how much of the Proteam Supreme Plus that I would need to add borates into a new TFP pool? I have about 18000 gallons in my 18x33 AB Pool.

also, how long do I need to wait after I get my FC up, TA and PH right before I add the borates?

Is it okay to use up my existing tri-chlor tablets that I have left or should I throw them away and start using the liquid chlorine now?

Thanks.
Welcome!

Study this first: so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html

Don't even think about adding borates until the pool water is balanced and you're comfortable using the pool calculator and your test kit. If you don't know what your CYA level is, you don't know if you can safely add the trichlor. Do you have one of the recommended test kits? Borates are nice, but not necessary. Many of us don't use them at all and our pools are sparkly clean.

I did read your link and I do want to put them in as my daughter has sensitive skin. I just ordered the TF-100 that you recommended. I was looking to purchase the proteam supreme plus online and wanted to make sure I got enough. I'm not up to the borax and muriactic acid mixing yet. I want to get the bleach/LQ down for this summer. The test kit looks complicated enough. Can you also go over the amount of bleach that I should add when I first open my pool? Should I add an algeacide also when I open it to kill what is growing in it?

lgdods said:
I did read your link and I do want to put them in as my daughter has sensitive skin. I just ordered the TF-100 that you recommended. I was looking to purchase the proteam supreme plus online and wanted to make sure I got enough. I'm not up to the borax and muriactic acid mixing yet. I want to get the bleach/LQ down for this summer. The test kit looks complicated enough. Can you also go over the amount of bleach that I should add when I first open my pool? Should I add an algeacide also when I open it to kill what is growing in it?
Don't put in algaecide. They're better as a preventative than as a remedy.

What does the pool look like? If it's green, you're going to need a lot of bleach to clean it out. If you run the tests and CC is high, you'll also want to run the shock process.

The bottom line is: no one can say how much you'll need until you have test results. The test kit looks confusing, but if you can follow directions and count, it's only intimidating the first time. And there's videos that show how, too!

Pool Calculator can tell you how much tentaborate pentahydrate to add if you enter the volume of your pool at the top, enter zero for current and 50 as the target. Order enough, but hold off adding it until you've got the rest figured out. And when you do add it, only add about 80%, just in case your volume calculation is wrong. It's easy to just add more if you need it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.