Dumb Pump Question

Jun 12, 2015
Waterdown, Ontario
Hi guys sorry if this is a dumb question (I'm a new pool owner and don't know much at all about them)....I have a Hayward 2 Speed Super Pump (1HP) and I'm wondering how I switch speeds, or if it does it on it's own? There are no switches or timers attached to it so I'm assuming it's operating at one speed (not sure if it would be high or low speed).

As a side-question, does anyone know (roughly) what it costs to run a pump like this 24-7 for a month? I've been turning it off at night in hopes of saving a few bucks, but if the thing doesn't cost that much to run constantly I'd probably just leave it running...

Thanks!

Usually there is a selector switch near the cover where the wire comes into the motor. As for the power consumption, you need to do some calculations.
First off, we need to know what the voltage the pump is running on (120 or 240)
Next, you need to look at the rating plate on the motor to see the amps draw for the voltage. if the motor is a dual voltage (120/240) you will see a set of numbers that will look something like this Amps 9.5/19 This means that at 240 volts the amp draw is 9.5 and at 120 it is 19. When you know these two figures, simply multiply them together. For example, assume at 120 volts times 19 amps you will consume 2280 watts or roughly 2.3 kilowatts. On your electric bill there should be a section that tells you the cost per kilowatt. Assume $.10/kilowatt, your pump will consume about $.23/hour of electric. I think you can figure the rest of the math.

The type of receptacle and the breaker it is connected to will give you that info. If it is on a single pole breaker then it is 120, if it is on a double pole breaker it is a 240... maybe. someone also could have run a Multi-Wire-Branch circuit out there off of a double pole and used one leg to power the pump.

Is the pump hard wired or is it on a plug/cord assembly?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.