Should I run my pool pump 24 hrs\day?

Jun 9, 2015
Arvada, CO
Hi everyone,

I just bought a house with a 33,000 gallon in-ground pool. I've been using it for a month, and it's been great. The previous owner told me that he ran the pump 24 hours a day because he found that it kept the pool cleaner, and the pool required fewer chemicals. I have been doing this since I've had the pool. I am wondering, is it really necessary? How many hours a day do you run your pump? Am I just wasting energy running my pump all the time?

Thanks,
Anita

Hi Anita! Every pool is different based on factors that range anywhere from swimmer's load to amount of trees in the area. Some folks run their pump 4-6 hours total, others longer. But here's a page from TFP that speaks bout this issue specifically: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time. Take a peek and let us know if you still have questions.

Hello and welcome to TFP!

No, it's probably not necessary. You need to determine how many gallons per minute your pump will circulate through your filter. Once you determine that, then you can calculate how long your pump should run to circulate your pool.

Also, I recommend you put all of your pool information in your signature. It really helps others when they try to help answer your questions.

is your pump a two speed or variable speed pump? that's important to know.

you only need to run your pump long enough to have proper chlorination and to remove dirt/etc from the pool to your expectations. some people here run there pumps for 4 hours, some 24. I run my 6 hours right now and its plenty. there should be no reason you HAVE to run 24 hours. if you have a variable speed pump on low, then running 24 hours is no big deal because its not costing much. running a single speed pump all day is gonna get expensive.

so tell us about your pump and how your pool is chlorinated (i.e. saltwater system, liquid chlorine, etc)

- - - Updated - - -

Hello and welcome to TFP!

No, it's probably not necessary. You need to determine how many gallons per minute your pump will circulate through your filter. Once you determine that, then you can calculate how long your pump should run to circulate your pool. .

don't need to calculate your gpm of your pump, that's kinda old school/pool store stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.