New pool and loving it.

Jul 13, 2015
Orange City, FL
First time pool owner and I have to say thanks to this awesome site. I have been reading everyday for 2 weeks now. With a pregnant wife, she is always hot and our lovely Florida weather is not helping lol. So we got a 15'x48" Intex from Wally world on rollback for $199. We made a spot for it and we set it up 2 weeks ago. We have been swimming almost everyday since then. A couple days after we set it up we installed a Intex SWG and yesterday we installed a Intex 2800 gph sandfilter (Im super excited about not buying filters.) We also bought the Confer 7200 ladder because the one that came with the pool was going to collapse under me in any second (the ladder was as much as the pool...) So far the pool is running great. Water is crystal clear. I have some sediment on the bottom but hopefully the new filter will stir it up. Unfortunately the pool looks like it is settling on one side and its sunk about 1". If it moves any further, I'm going to drain it and re set it up. I didn't use any pavers and it looks like the feet are sinking more and more.

The pool came with two drains and one outlet. Next thing for the pool will be cutting the vinyl so I can use the 1 1/2" strainers. The wife is not to sure about me with a Xacto knife around the pool lol. I also need a vacuum, I keep coming up empty handed so many mixed reviews. I will need one since the half the pool is under some trees and leaves are constantly falling, and since we are swimming everyday the cover seems like so much work to take it off everyday.

Thanks again for all the great info on the site.

20150720_194112.jpg20150720_194503.jpg

Welcome!

You can find modifications on intex in this forum. You almost have to cut the liner to be able to vac the pool. As for the sinking post... They will continue to sink, unfortunately. The post need pavers to set on to distribute the weight evenly.

I love the ladder as well, big difference to the one that came with the pool. We use the Pool Blaster Catfish to vacuum the pool and it has been working fine. Our pool is by an oak tree so leaves fall in the pool a lot and sink to the bottom, but the vacuum can pick them up easily. We plan to upgrade to a permanent above ground pool soon and at that time will probably try one of the robotic vacuums but for now this one works just fine.

So glad you and your wife are having fun!

You DO NOT need to cut or modify your pool to vacuum it! Order this:
Amazon.com : Intex Pool Maintentance Kit - Deluxe Edition : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden
and get yourself a universal pole from Walmart, Lowes, or an online retailer of your choice.

Your new sand filter has plenty of flow to power the little Intex vacuum. I've been using ours for 2 seasons and I'm very happy with it. I have a spotless pool - the spring required a lot of maintenance, but we're coasting now. I brush a couple times a week and vacuum every other week.

Love the ladder too - we just bought the same one and I wish we bought it last year!

The ladder is not very stable, I tied it down for right now with rope. I was thinking of putting 2 stakes going along each side of it. I will try the bungee's for now. I think we are going to re set it up. But I have a wedding today and it's getting in the way of my swimming time. So hopefully next week we will tear it down. Put pavers down, the wife wants pea gravel around the bottom and large stepping stones at the ladder. But she has to wait till it is nice and even again. As far as the vacuuming goes its my job at the moment to jump in the pool and scoop up all the stuff up before she comes in lol. I was looking at the Skooba Vac, but we will see when that time comes. I can handle another week or 2 of manually cleaning it. My nephews think they are important when I send them down to scoop the leaves out with the fish net. Make them work before they can play around in the pool.

I am too tired to read all the responses but I will say this at the risk of being redundant. A solar cover will help your pool retain more heat overnight. I cut mine into strips, which makes it easier to deal with. Wanda the Whale and others in the group get good reviews. I had the Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark and it worked great. I bought it because there were no mechanical parts that might break.

Your support legs may not continue to sink, just keep an eye on them. If so, then you will have to put some pads under them. Regarding the vacuum, I made an adapter from a PVC end cap that was the right size to screw onto my strainer, just drilled a hole with a hole saw to slip the vacuum hose into it. Works great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.