Good Thermometer

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
I'm going to try to get a good remote meat thermometer this spring...any suggestions? I know we gave one away for a contest on this forum, I was going to look at that one, but I wanted to get one that is accurate and that will last a good while...does this one fit the bill?
thanks

Re: Good Thermometer -- dumb follow up question

OK I got the Maverick ET-73 and have a duuuummb question...The directions aren't the best, and I'm used to cheapie/analog thermometers, so here goes...it's the long, curved probe that goes into the meat, right? and then the shorter probe goes on the grill rack?
Actually I'm going to use it mostly for my smoker, so I'm thinking I put the clip on the short, straight probe and set that on the rack, then put the curved probe in the meat.
Or do I have it backwards? :?:
And if it is the long, curved probe that goes into the meat, is it okay if the curved end is sticking out of the meat, if you don't have enough meat to push the whole probe in (i.e. ribs)?
thanks ya'll

You've got the probes right. I've got the Charmglow branded ET-71 that they stock at Home Depot which works great except for not having the second probe. Might have to remedy that.

The curved end will hang out on a lot of cuts. That doesn't seem to bother it as long as the pointed end is in the thickest part of the meat. I'm not sure how big the actual resistor in the probe is, but I'd imagine it is contained within half an inch of the end of the probe. Should have destructed my old one before I tossed it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.