Did my pool contractor undersize my equipment?

Jul 20, 2015
Waco TX
Hello. I am brand new to this forum and to pool ownership. I'm so glad to join you here.

Details on my equipment are in my signature below. Before my contractor installed my SWCG I expressed concern that our pool volume was just below the 25,000 gallons that that cell is rated for. He dismissed my concern, stating that by his calculations our pool volume was 18,000 gallons (I have since confirmed that this is incorrect :mad: -- my average depth is 5.25 feet, width 14 feet and length 40 feet).

Now that I am reading more I am really wishing that I had gotten the next larger size SWCG (rated for 40,000 gallons). My pool is in full sunlight and is mainly used by grubby little boys, so I worry that I will continually struggle to keep chlorine levels high enough with the 25,000 gallon cell. We had to wait two weeks for our plaster to cure before adding salt and are now in the process of getting our salt levels up, so I really haven't yet had an opportunity to assess whether the cell is keeping pace or not.

Can anyone offer any advice? If the next larger cell is really what I need, I am going to try to convince the contractor to swap my SWCG out (given that I expressed concern about this weeks ago, before the cell was installed, and he calculated our pool volume erroneously).

Thanks for your help.

If it's close to the 23,000 that the sizes you posted calculate to, the cell is right on the limit. It will probably work, but it may mean that you'll have to run the equipment longer each day than should be required. Upping to a 40k sized cell would certainly be better, but since it's technically sized for a pool your size I'm not sure that the PB will budge. Good luck and hopefully they will supply you with the larger cell.

This is why I don't trust "professionals" very much... Not specifically POOL pros but in general...

Sounds like he was doing the bare minimum for you. Doesn't the The cells production/effeciency goe down throughout the life of the cell at least a bit? If it is just borderline when new how will it be in a few years? My guess is that the bigger cell would have cut into his profit margin a bit and he knows the cell he gave you will work fine for the first year until he is long gone. The messed up part is that I doubt that you will be able to get him to put the bigger cell in without paying more bucks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.