Overwhelmed--What next??

Jul 21, 2015
Concord
Thanks in advance for any help or replies to this post!
We have a new above ground portable pool that is set up and filled as of today. It's our first and we've just have NO IDEA what to do next. Our three young children are dying to swim in it, so I need to figure this out fast! ;)
Do I have to run the pump for 4 hours before they swim?
Do I do first test after the pump has run?
Once I test, based on the numbers I get,....then what? (I've "HTH Multi-purpose 6-way test strips")
I purchased a "Cool Pool Flip Plop"...a mineral system----do I just put that in, and shock as needed weekly, and swim today?
I could really use any and all suggestions, or step by step "dummy proof" instructions from anyone who was once in my shoes.
Thank you so much!!!
:)
Laura

Sad to say but you probably won't be able to swim right away.

Like everyone will say on here. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/ Read the Pool School link and read it, then read it again, then again. Don't put anything in your pool other than what is listed under the Pool School. Anything you put it other than what is under pool school might make your wait to swim longer. Sadly your test strips probably won't help you. You need to get a good kit like the k-2006 or TF-100 so that you can actually tell the health of your pool.

Welcome and this forum is the best place for you to be right now.

can you return the Cool Pool Flip Plop?? if you can do so, and use that money to buy the TF-100 test kit

if this is a temporary pool, I would just get a floating chlorine dispenser, add the pucks and monitor that your chlorine levels are good. order the test kit though. once your CYA (stabilizer) gets to around 40-50, then you can transition to bleach only. then you would be draining and refilling next year and do it all over again.

there is no reason you cant swim the pool once its filled up. just make sure you have chlorine in the water from the get go to avoid algae growing.

and update your location to include state please. there are a few concords :)

step by step "dummy proof" instructions from anyone who was once in my shoes.

I gave advice but didn't answer your questions, sorry!

basically the steps are:

1. fill with water
2. get your pump/filter running
3. get chlorine in the water
4. have fun and swim!

- - - Updated - - -

Sad to say but you probably won't be able to swim right away..

there is no reason you cant swim in your pool. you take a bath in tap water, right :)

get a floater and some chlorine pucks in there for now. your CYA isn't going to go very high right away. will give you time to get your test kit and then can go from there. but summer ends before you know it, so enjoy that pool!

Hi Dan
This is exactly the type of advice I need. Thank you! Yes, it is a temporary pool and I can return the Flip Plop. I'll get the floating dispenser--my options are 1" chlorine tablets or 3"...so then again, I'm stuck. Which to use? I am beginning to understand with this type of pool, that if I monitor the chlorine level, that's basically all I really need to keep on top of. Would you agree?
THANK YOU!
:)

temporary pools can be handled a bit different. pucks will be fine for a while. the problem in non-temporary pools is that the CYA levels keep going higher and higher. you eliminate that by draining the pool and refilling each year. im guessing for a pool your size the 1" will be fine. but im sure the 3" will be too, you would just use less of them is all.

its all about keeping your FC (chlorine level) above the minimum for your stabilizer level (CYA). check my signature link for the chart.

the floater will be fine, but you still need to get the test kit. once you get the test kit you might need some other minor things but they will be cheap and easy (like possibly baking soda or borax, muriatic acid, etc).

enjoy your pool and post lots of questions!

the key to the pool is never getting an algae outbreak. we don't do weekly shocks, algaecides, etc.

You will also need to monitor your CYA and PH. The test kit that has been recommended also measures TA (total alkalinity) and CH (calcium hardness). I'll leave to others to say whether you need to monitor CH or not. Good luck and get out there and swim!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.