Installing electrical

Nia

Jun 11, 2015
Arizona
Hello. I have a new pool and I need to speak to electrician tomorrow. I know I need a GFCI 110V 20 amp dedicated outlet mounted on pole with a weatherproof cover and maybe twist lock plug. What else is important to specify so I can get an accurate quote. Our electrical panel pole is about 100 ft away from the pump. Also what electrical supplies do I need to purchase in order for the job to be done completely. My pump is a waterway 1hp 19" model. Thank you for any ideas or help!!

If you don't ever plan on adding anything to the pool that will need electricity, then you need at least two dedicated circuits. One for the pump and one convenience receptacle. The electrician should be aware of that and should quote appropriately. They can give you a list of all the parts you'll need if you don't want them supplying them.

We have a shop about 100 feet away from pool with electrical outlets. Is the additional gfci convenience outlet necessary?

Only if you want to plug things in near the pool, like a radio. If the electrician is going to dig a trench an run power for the filter running another line won't be much more money. Also you should think about lighting around the pool area.

think of everything you cant think of :) because in 10 years you may want something else wired in out there and now you need to do another run.. I went with 60 amp 240v and from my hot tub install I know it will run a 6kw heater and 2, 2hp motors on high plus other 120v acc pluged in..

think of everything you cant think of :) because in 10 years you may want something else wired in out there and now you need to do another run.. I went with 60 amp 240v and from my hot tub install I know it will run a 6kw heater and 2, 2hp motors on high plus other 120v acc pluged in..

True, we may want the heating option in winter, lights, etc..

- - - Updated - - -

If you have to meet code where you are, a convenience receptacle is required between 6' and 20' of the pool edge.

We live pretty rural but I will do that just in case! Thanks again. We are just loving the pool right now. Finding out about biting bugs though :(

Keep in mind that most electrical inspectors consider a pool a separate structure so all NEC codes for running power to a separate structure need to be followed. Any competent electrician should know these codes.

The twist lock plug/receptacle is only required for plug/cord connected pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.