1st time pool owner, About to set up pool, Please Advise, no IDEA what to do! Few ?'s

First post, first time pool owner. We bought a used 24 by 52 AGP from friends of ours. We will be setting up the pool this weekend hopefully. The previous owners used chlorine tablets, but i would like to use a SWCG. Went to the pool store asked the guy about using a SWCG and he said " OH NO don't use it on a steel pool. I've been doing a lot of reading on here and the internet and I've read people that are using the SWCG with steel pool just fine. Also we have well water, not sure how to go about after filling with water. So I have a few questions.

1. Is it fine to use a SWG with a steel frame pool?

2. Been looking at SWG online, and really don't know which to get, although was thinking of intex krystal clear system or an aqua rite or trol. (not sure what the difference is between the two aqua's.)

3.When water is filled can i use the SWG right away? I've read that some recommend using bleach first and then start the SWG, others said they used the SWG right from the start and it's fine.

4. Will the mentioned SWG's work with my sand filter? or do i need to get a specific filter?

5. Also read about bounding and a sacrificial anode? DO i need to have both with a SWG or one of them? or do they do completely different things?

Any suggestions and advice is very much appreciated! I'm overwhelmed with all this info online. Feels like all I've been doing the last couple weeks is reading about pools! BTW I did order a k-2006 kit, should be here by the end of the week.

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't suggest going SWG with a steel frame pool, as it will cause its life to be shortened. The exposure from splashing will simply cause the steel to corrode more quickly. If you decide to move forward on it, filtration doesn't matter. Any type is fine. IMO the anode won't buy you anything in this situation.

A couple other thoughts ..... Is the well your only means to fill? When asked, many wish they would have had waster trucked-in rather than battle with iron over time. You might ask locally with your water company and/or fire department to see if they have any suggestions to get water from another source.

If not, then you should be prepared for the inevitable ... Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains. As quoted from one of our experts:

Once you've added chlorine it oxidizes nearly all the iron to ferric iron that then forms iron oxides. So now the approach is to physically remove these precipitates either through vacuum-to-waste, through sweeping to get to the filter (or to skimmer socks or batting material) and then you'll be left over with a smaller amount of iron in the water. At that point you can either use a metal sequestrant or physically remove it with something like Metal Free that tries to capture and precipitate more into the filter.

Hope this helps.

A couple other thoughts ..... Is the well your only means to fill? When asked, many wish they would have had waster trucked-in rather than battle with iron over time. You might ask locally with your water company and/or fire department to see if they have any suggestions to get water from another source.

If not, then you should be prepared for the inevitable ... Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains. As quoted from one of our experts:

Hope this helps.

Yes, I've read about that, and that is a concern of mine with the well water and iron. We were discussing getting water brought in, maybe just filling with well water enough to get the wrinkles out of the liner. We do have a water softener, though not sure if any of the outdoor outlets run through it.

Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't suggest going SWG with a steel frame pool, as it will cause its life to be shortened. The exposure from splashing will simply cause the steel to corrode more quickly. If you decide to move forward on it, filtration doesn't matter. Any type is fine. IMO the anode won't buy you anything in this situation.

Thanks! Yes we are aware of that, and initially we were going to try the pristine blue that the guy at the pool store suggested, but after reading so many bad reviews I'm hesitant. So after thinking about it some more and going back and forth about it, we decided we would just do the salt system, and eventually replace the pool to an all resin one when the time comes, the pool is 8 years old.

- - - Updated - - -

So does anyone have any suggestions about the SWG's and how to go about starting the pool out once filled?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.