Adding sealant to IntelliBrite 5G - dumb?

Jan 28, 2013
So, I'm planning to buy an IntelliBrite 5G but based on a lot of reports, the Pentair seals are garbage. Or rather, the design is garbage. Unlike an incandescent, the LED circuit board appears to have zero tolerance for moisture. This appears to cause a much higher failure rate than I'm comfortable with for a $500 light. When the circuit board is compromised, apparently it costs as much to replace it as the entire unit.

Given all that, I'm thinking of using caulking to augment the seal permanently. My reasoning is, it's an LED that should last for a very, very long time. There's really no reason to open this casing up again and if there is, the whole thing will need to be replaced anyway. This is a very different philosophy than a traditional light.

What do you all think? It'll most certainly void the warranty but from most reports, the bulbs fail after the warranty has expired anyway. I suppose I could always wait a year with the warranty and then apply the sealant...

Has anyone else tried this?

Well there's certainly value in peace of mind. It certainly won't hurt anything.

Btw: has there been very many reports of leaks on these? The inside casing is filled with a resin compound to prevent water entering from the cord. The front has a rubber compression gasket that when tightened, should be water proof. If there's a weak point, please share because I'll likely caulk mine as well.

Well, "evidence" might be too strong of a word. My concern is pretty much exclusively based on Amazon reviews which, admittedly, I place too much stock in. Still, across the various IntelliBrite models (same unit, different cable lengths) there are a lot of very similar sounding stories. It works for a season or two and then stops functioning. They pull it out of the water and find water has damaged the electronics. Again, not always a problem with a regular bulb but these seem more vulnerable.

Well, "evidence" might be too strong of a word. My concern is pretty much exclusively based on Amazon reviews which, admittedly, I place too much stock in. Still, across the various IntelliBrite models (same unit, different cable lengths) there are a lot of very similar sounding stories. It works for a season or two and then stops functioning. They pull it out of the water and find water has damaged the electronics. Again, not always a problem with a regular bulb but these seem more vulnerable.

I didn't find many negative reviews, but did see a couple which mentioned the seals failing. Any moisture around the electrical components will cause corrosion, so I thought about it and decided to do as you mentioned.

I bought some 3M Marine sealant 5200, and ran a bead along the gasket where it meets the lens and along the back where it meets the housing. I also dabbed a big glop all around the cord where it enters since these tubes don't stay good for very long and I had a bunch left over.

Figured it was worth a shot if it extends the life of just one of my lights.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.