Protecting our pump area in Texas

amjohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2008
Rural NE Texas
Our pump and filter sit on the ground on the south side of the pool. Our area of Texas experiences ice storms and baking heat- sometimes in the same week. We have an Intermatic freeze timer on the pump to run when it is near and below freezing, so we do not officially "close" the pool, but the water temp is cold enough that it is effectively closed for the winter. So we need to keep ice from building up on the equipment when we get sleet, ice, freezing rain, and fog- which are usually blowing horizontally, rather than falling. Then, in the summer, the sun bakes things until they just disintegrate, and the wind blows the dirt like a sandblaster. so we have to protect the equipment from "sun-rot".
Our approach: a roof over the pump and filter that is high enough (about 5.7 feet) to allow us to get in to the area to work. Around that we will install heavy shade fabric "drapes" on the east, west, and, south sides that will shade the pump area, but also shield it from blowing whatever. The drapes will be tied down and weighted so that they do not blow around, yet we can "draw" them to get into the area.
So far, we have the roof in place and have stained it. This is also a try-out for our deck- colors and building methods. We like the color, so the deck on the north side of the pool will be the same color. The staining job is not super neat- I only had an hour and half to do all coats. The post supports are set in about 2 feet of concrete (to keep the wind from ripping it out of the ground), and the frame is pressure treated 2x4's and plywood. It is basically a mini-deck. Pictures below show progress. The shade fabric drapes are next. They will be light grey/blue. The same shade fabric will be used over our deck for awning, so this will all balance out eventually.
The plastic over the pump is temporary. We did not get this project done in time for this winter's ice storms, and I have kept many an outdoor plant alive using heavy duty painter's plastic, so I used that approach in a pinch for this winter. It also came in handy while I was staining the underside of the roof and dripping stain all over everything. Lesson for deck build- stain as much as possible in advance before assembly.

Attachments

• P1000808small.JPG
    P1000808small.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 272
  • P1000809small.JPG
    P1000809small.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 266
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.