Severa)l Question (Pump, Chilorine, Vacuum)

timlab

Jul 11, 2015
Aiken SC
I am new to all the pool stuff, so please forgive me asking these questions.

First the pump. As you all are aware of, at the end of the pump plug, the plug that comes with the pool has a CFI on it. It has a test and reset button on it with a little light that tells you if it is on or not. Last night we had a bolt of lighting come very close to the house and after the storm, I check that plug (which was off during the storm) and the house CFI plug which goes to my bathroom plug (the actual CFI) that connects anything from the outside. Well, the house CFI trip, so I reset it, and then the pump starting to work which is natural. However, I noticed that the little light (on the pool) that CFI was out. So I tested both again, and it wouldn't come on. Should I file a claim with Intex because of the light or carry on and use the plug or send it back? If Intex ask me to send it back, how long can my pool last without one?

Next the Chilorine. I sat up my pool last Wednesday and when down to my pool store. Spend $109.00 on chemicals for my pool, as I told the person down there that I'm on well water. I added al the chemicals as instructed. Tested my water yesterday and noticed that all the levels where on target expect the Free Chilorine which was low or not there. I live SC and have no clue on what to do, and suggestions?

Next the vacuum. The vacuum that came with my pool, was the type that you connect a little tiny bag at the end and the water hose to the top. I can't keep running my water hose as I'm on a well pump. There is enough power on the outlet that when the pump is on, it shoots the water 1/2 way across the pool. So, my question is this: If I connect a longer pool hose from the outlet part of the pump and then down size it to the size of the water hose, would this work? If not, what could I do without running my garden hose?

Thanks

hello tim and welcome,
First , if you would put your pool info in your signature, that will help us know what size pool and equipment we are dealing with.
As far as GFI goes, is the one on the end of your pump plug removable? If so contact Intex and if you have to return it and you can run your pump using your house GFI in the meantime.

What were the $109 of chemicals they sold you. Before giving them anymore money, please read POOL SCHOOL and the ABC's on here to learn about testing and test kits.

Then depending on your pool size, you can decide which way to treat your pool ( as far as seasonal vs. traditional pool

If you can post the info about your pool and equipment setup, someone on here can answer the vacuum question. Hope that gets you started, and again welcome

I suppose it's possible that the light on the plug itself that is used as a visual cue to let you know the plug's GFCI has tripped could have been burned. Not sure if those can be repaired at your level, or are even worth the trouble. Does the plug still "trip" and kick-off if it senses a problem? That would seem to be most important I would think. Attempting a return to Intex might be an option, however there may be a warranty length or "Acts of God" clause that may void certain repairs or returns. I guess it never hurts to ask. How long you can go without a pump varies based on the pool size, environment, swimmer's load, etc. When people have a pump go bad, they typically do all they can to have swimmers stay active in the water to keep it mixed, continue to add the required chemicals, and brush/sweep often. Some will even borrow or rent a separate pump (or sump pump) to keep "some" circulation going.

Chemicals - BIG area there. I won't sugar-coat it ... you MUST have your own "proper" test kit to maintain your water, and you can do so from TFTestkits.net. It should be your #1 priority. Pool stores typically provide inconsistent results and sell pool owners products they don't need. Some employees are seasonal and simply are instructed on that store's preferences to sell, and not your best interests. When it comes to TFPC chemicals, please see Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals.

As for your vacuum, I suppose you could try that. I understand what you're saying, and it's a very basic model vacuum. But try it. If you don't get what you need from that modification, then you can always consider a smaller vacuum (manual) upgrade. Something that will work solely off of the suction port, but not be devastating to your checkbook. :)

I hope I've given you some ideas to go with. If you have any more questions, please let us know.

If your entire circuit is GFCI protected from the house, then you can remove the GFCI on the pump and replace it with a regular plug from the hardware store. This is what I did.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.