Montville NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I searched, and found many threads where people complain of birds using their pool as a toilet. I don't have that problem.

The birds instead live in my pool. Specifically they build nests under the caps on the uprights.

For the last two years there has been a bird that builds a nest under one specific top cap. It just so happens to be where I store my solar cover. It's great when you go to take the solar cover off and a bird comes zooming out of the pool, but I have lived with it.

This morning I noticed that there are two MORE nests in various uprights, for a total of three bird nests in my pool. I guess I could take the top caps off and pack the area under them with something like steel wool (which would then rust and stain) or with something like fiberglass window screening.

Just wondering though, has anybody else ever had this problem ?

And for the record, despite they fact the live in the pool, they do not seem to use it as their bathroom, so it really does not bother me all that much.

-dave

Birds are definitely persistent when it comes to nest building. I agree that a physical barrier is your best defense. You may have to use the fiberglass screen on all your uprights or the birds will find the ones you didn't block off next year.

A few summers ago, I had a bird build a nest inside my dryer vent. Three times! I finally had to buy a grill to cover the vent.

I've also seen people use various nylon netting and/or wire mesh (similar but smaller than chicken wire) and cut, mold, or drape around the area to deter birds from nesting in a specific area. My dogs are not bird fans, so they usually spook them off. I also keep one of those fake owls with the moveable head near my pool which seems to have slowed-down bird traffic substantially.

In my case they build nests at my retractable awning's corners. I tried to fight it off but when chicks appeared I gave up. First year they built it under the motor, the next - at both ends. Interesting, I was afraid it would intergere with awning's wind/unwind operation, but strangely enough, it didn't. Well, I am selling the house so I let the new owners deal with them :)

Yeah, the one by the solar cover had chicks. I first noticed it when I was taking the cover off one day and could hear them peeping.

I like having the birds around - I feed the birds on the other side of the yard, and have birdhouses as well. The birds and my dog seem to coexist (squirrels, groundhogs, chipmunks, and rabbits are apparently his mortal enemies). So I really don't want to scare them off, just discourage them from using my pool as cheap housing.

-dave

Yeah, the one by the solar cover had chicks. I first noticed it when I was taking the cover off one day and could hear them peeping.

I like having the birds around - I feed the birds on the other side of the yard, and have birdhouses as well. The birds and my dog seem to coexist (squirrels, groundhogs, chipmunks, and rabbits are apparently his mortal enemies). So I really don't want to scare them off, just discourage them from using my pool as cheap housing.

-dave

Charge them rent. NJ does not have rent control :)

Rubber snakes: instead use one live snake. A small constrictor will do. At the same time it will take care of other vermin, groundhogs etc :)

Well, I'd let them go if they aren't causing harm or using the pool as their toilet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.