skimmer leaking. need ideas? HELP

Jul 20, 2015
stow ohio
:confused: ok brief history. I got this pool (used) brought to me by my boys. set it up, filled it, swam in it, now kinda like it. BUT, my skimmer has been leaking just about anywhere a skimmer can leak since we set it up. I replaced he skimmer today once I finally found out what I have. its a light house brand only wide mouth skimmer. . when I removed the skimmer I found the liner around the hole is in bad shape. tried to just install and hope for the best but now it leakes more than ever down the outside wall. What I think I need to do is to get a large heavy patch and put it across the whole skimmer hole , then install the front of the skimmer and cut out the skimmer like when you replace the liner. has anyone heard of this. I am open to a better idea. thought about adding a bigger rubber gasket. etc. any and all help would be great. leak is killing my water bill

I would attempt the large patch. You wouldn't necessarily have to cover the whole skimmer hole with a patch, just do wide strips all the way around the existing skimmer hole. That may or may not work but I think it's certainly worth a try.

Amazon.com : Hydro Tools 8815 4-Ounce Vinyl Pool Linear Repair Kit : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

or

Amazon.com : Boxer - 4 oz Vinyl Swimming Pool Liner Repair Kit : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

Those could work well. I've never done any patching myself so perhaps someone else can chime in as to what type of patch works best.

What exactly does bad shape loos like?

My new skimmer leaked due the fact I had the outer surface developing rust and pitting. The lining had to be trimmed also but all in all was OK.
If the lining is still continuous, you could possibly clean it and try silicone caulk on both sides, lining and outside of the pool. Or you can patch it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.