LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2015
Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there, first time poster and new pool owner in Texas.

We we went on vacation just after closing on the new house and came home to a green pool. I don't know enough about the pool to put it all in my signature, but here's what we think: 25k gallon, plaster, DE filter, pentair pump. Previous owner was using tablets, which I'm assuming is the cause of the high CYA (see below).

Brought a sample to Leslie's this morning and here are the results:

FC - 0
TC - 0
CH - 220
CYA - 110
TA - 110
pH - 7.6

After reading on these forums, I know we need to SLAM. We are draining some of the water to get the CYA down and bought 20 gallons of 8.25% bleach. We ordered the TF-100 kit, but while we are waiting for it to arrive, what would your advice be to do? I'd hate to see it get worse.

image.jpg

Drain and replace about 1/2 of the water. Add a jug of bleach a day to keep things from getting worse until the kit comes in. Then you can test and see exactly what you need to do.

Welcome to TFP!

No worries....you'll get this lined out with the new kit for sure, and no more guessing or frustration dealing with the pool store. Great move on taking the best step you could to help yourself. You'll be pleased you did, I promise.

Hi guys,

We are having the hardest time figuring out how to drain the pool. We can't get it to go past the skimmer. Is this normal? We rented a pump from Home Depot and drained it about 12" and refilled it but I know that's not enough to get the CYA down.

I'm posting pics of our equipment; if any of you could shed any light I'd be very appreciative!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Still waiting on our kit to arrive but we drained quite a bit last night, cleaned the DE filter, continued adding 1-2 gallons of bleach per day and the pool is already staring to look better!

Waiting for the test kit is like waiting for Christmas Day as a kid!

Hello Megsyperk, you are certainly in the right place! We have similarities - newly bought a home, first time pool owner, however, our sellers were very gracious, left us a perfectly balanced pool but with a very expensive pool maintenance contract ($45 per week)! I'm glad I found this forum soon, and I'm glad you did too. My TF100 just came in today, and I'm already ahead of the curve, thanks to the very kind folks around here. My signature needs updating as well!

All the best, and hoping your family gets to enjoy your pool very soon now. All the best!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Definitely taking pics - I know you guys love to rubberneck (me too; have been enjoying some of the older threads and watching the transformation!).

I absolutely cannot wait for this test kit! There's part of me that wishes I had waited to start until the kit got here just because I have no idea how the numbers have improved - just the look. But seriously, today looks even better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.