Big differences between test kits. Confused

Jul 18, 2015
Zeeland MI
Before I joined this forum I ordered a drip test kit from Amazon Poolmaster 22270. It seems to have really good reviews and the results are pretty easy to read. However, I have 3 different dip kits and results from tests at Pools Plus that all seem to disagree with each other when testing PH and FC. Can anyone explain why I am seeing such a big difference?

Poolmaster Kit Dip Strips Pools Plus

PH 7.2 around 7.2 7.6
FC 2 ppm around 5 ppm 6 ppm

Other Levels

ALK 120
CYA around 30 (dip test)

Which ones should I trust and why the big difference?

Trust none of the above. This is why we only recommend either the TFTestkits TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 test kits. See Test Kits Compared. The FAS-DPD chlorine test is by far more reliable, accurate, and consistent even than DPD tests and test strips, but the test you are looking at in the 22270 is an OTO chlorine test and that can be hard to read/interpret unless you are used to it. Furthermore, the pH test in the TF-100 and K-2006 use special chlorine neutralizers that will not affect the pH so the pH will be accurate up to at least 10 ppm FC.

Chem Geek speaks the truth. :) I have the TF-100 and absolutely love it and the accuracy I receive. I also have the speed stir for easy mixing and it's perfect. One of those products that makes you wonder how you ever managed to go so long without it before. Seriously consider it if possible at TFTestkits.net.

Ok. I got a new kit on order.
I just shocked the pool for the heck of it with a pack of cal hypo that came with the pool. Dip strips showed a difference but the pool master drip kit show absolutely no change. Still showing 2 ppm. I Wonder why the kit got such good reviews.

Because no one knows any better. They don't do tests like you are doing and don't have any absolute good reference to compare to. Also, it's possible that you got a bum kit worse than others for some reason. Maybe it was exposed to too much light or heat in storage or shipping.

Got my Taylor K-2006 kit today. I am pretty amazed at how easy it is to decipher the results.

FC: 3.6 CC: 0 PH: 7.4 TA: 130 CH: 150 CYA: 35

Not bad so far huh? Maybe bump up my PH to 7.6 and FC to about 4? In any case it amazes me how far off the PH reading was from the pool store. 7.4 was AFTER 1 box of Borax. When they tested it was probably at about 7.2 and they said 7.6.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.