Nasty cloth behind light?

Today I decided to troubleshoot my inop pool light. We just bought the home a few weeks ago and the previous owner said it was working recently, but now it trips the breaker when energized. I didn't find anything obvious, but I did find this old, nasty looking piece of cloth behind the light. It pretty much disintegrated when touched. I went ahead and removed what I could and vacuumed to waste the rest. Between me and the nautilus pro we seem to have gotten most all of it. Any ideas what that was doing in there? It wasn't attached to anything as best I can tell. I just had a leak detection company do a full leak check a couple days ago and the light housing wasn't leaking, so that's something good at least. Hopefully replacing the light doesn't change that. Thanks!

jqMc78p.jpg

w15DgFq.jpg

jAArGjn.jpg

Any chance you can replace that retainer ring? It appears that the nickel & chrome finish is completely etched off and now your down to the base steel layer. I'd be pretty concerned about on-going dissolution as a source of iron contamination. As for what looks an old tee-shirt, that's just nasty! Looks like you found a good source of on-going organic contamination.

I replaced my bulb. It worked from Mar 3 to around May 15 without flaw. Then my breaker started to trip. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't. I still haven't diagnosed it, but I can't detect any water by looking through the lens. I don't want to take mine apart because I'm not sure it's the problem. I know the breaker is 29 years old. Currently, since about June 26, it's worked flawlessly so I stopped messing with it. I just hope you figure yours out because for me, it's a big mystery as to what causes it because it's intermittent.

Intermittent problems are always the worst. I wouldn't say I'm "lucky", but at least mine is hard failed. Flip switch, breaker trips. Bulb, no bulb, doesn't matter. I'm going to go ahead and replace the whole thing since it's probably easier, and definitely safer. Plus I really want an LED setup, so now I have an excuse. Just not sure if I want to tackle it myself or pay someone. Doesn't LOOK that tough, but I know my luck...

Intermittent problems are always the worst. I wouldn't say I'm "lucky", but at least mine is hard failed. Flip switch, breaker trips. Bulb, no bulb, doesn't matter. I'm going to go ahead and replace the whole thing since it's probably easier, and definitely safer. Plus I really want an LED setup, so now I have an excuse. Just not sure if I want to tackle it myself or pay someone. Doesn't LOOK that tough, but I know my luck...

If it's tripping the breaker with no bulb sounds to me that a wire is grounding somewhere. See if you can see anything on the wiring you can get to. If you think the breaker is just worn out they are simple to replace just make sure the power is off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess (only a guess) is that the former owners used that old sweater (maybe) as a jerry-rigged re-enforcement for the gasket. A new fixture will run you over 4 bills and that is if there is no issues replacing it. It very well be more.

The good news is that the pool builder doesn't want to replace the fixture any more than you want to pay for it. Most of the cost is in the hardware so it's not the best use of their time. It takes several hours to replace. Longer, and obviously more expensive, if your ground collapsed around the conduit. It's so much easier for them to sell you chemicals you don't need in their own store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks all! I don't think it's the breaker since it trips even without the bulb in it, so that seems to point towards a short in the housing or in the wiring, and the inside of the housing was nice and dry. I'm going to do some research and buy a new one and hope I can pull the wire through the conduit without too much trouble. I wanted a more modern light anyway, and now I have good reason since I'd like to avoid electrocuting anyone in my pool! I still have no idea what that mess was doing stuck behind it, but I'm glad it's no longer in my pool water!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.