f3justusc

Aug 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool liner is just over a year old and it has faded from the waterline to the seam at the bottom. Above the watering is as dark as the day I got it and the bottom too. I do not care as long as I get a few years. Initially, I thought the chlorine caused this but if that were the case, the bottom would be faded too. I wonder if it is due to some defect in the manufacturing process.

- - - Updated - - -

C360_2015-07-20-17-27-18-242_zpspamqr7tn.jpg Photo by f3justusc | Photobucket

Strange that the bottom is OK if it's the same original color so you are probably right that this is a manufacturing defect where the side vinyl does not have colorfast dye. It's either diluting in water or getting oxidized by chlorine, but much faster than it is supposed to. Note in this link that medium blue vinyl color is the most sensitive, probably because it uses an organic dye rather than inorganic dyes/chemicals for color.

If you have some spare side vinyl you can soak some in water and another piece in chlorinated water (that you'd need to maintain as chlorinated) to see which causes the problem.

Mine was fading evenly until this year. Now the waterline on the sunny side of the pool is much more faded than the rest. Consequentially, that was also where the tab floater would get stuck and hang out all day back when I still used one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.