Frustrated Newbie

Jul 20, 2015
Overton
Let me start by saying I am new to pool ownership. I have been all over the TFP site and have read and reread Pool School. I recently bought a FAS/DPD testing kit as recommended. I live in an area of southern Nevada known to have extremely alkaline water. I have been trying in vain to lower the alkalinity of my pool which currently stands at 250 ppm. Overt the last three days I have added a gallon of muriatic acid little effect. I am worried that adding more will damage the vinyl liner of my pool. My CYA is currently 95, PH is 7.3 (from adding all that acid) and FC IS 2.2, which I know is low but seems to be the least of my worries at the moment. I have enough salt and my CH is 250. Confusion reigns! Help! :(

First off, what is the Alkalinity of your tap water? Go ahead and test that yourself if you can. Did you add any products intended to raise the TA without realizing it?
What are you using to chlorinate your pool? You're going to have problems with algae at the rate you're going because your CYA is wayyyyy too high, and your FC is wayyyy too low. There is a chart that will advise you on the relationship those two things have and if you don't have enough of one, or two much of another, and not keeping it aligned.....the green algae monster will hit.
Have you considered draining and starting again?

How do you test your pool water? What are you using. We certainly can help but we need some details.

I am using the Taylor K2006 to test. I don't think I have added anything that would raise TA. I tested my tap water as you suggested and, believe it or not, it is 250 ppm!!! I am using regular liquid chlorine bleach in addition to the SWG for chlorine. It has been in a good range until this morning. We had a rain last night. My CYA has also been in a good range until this morning after the rain.

You have it backwards, your FC is the most important and your TA is the least. You must keep your FC in range for your CYA, which for a pool with an SWG would be about 8 for a CYA that high. Also rain will not cause your CYA to rise so I don't know how your CYA was in range (60-80 for SWG pools) before a rain. You need your FC raised right away before you get more problems.

I should tell you that the alkalinity of my fill water is around 800 ppm. So when I see you have 250 ppm TA in your fill water my first thought is "that's it?" :wink: All you need to do is test your pH everyday and adjust it as it rises. As you adjust that your TA will fall naturally and stop pulling your pH up so quickly. DO NOT go adding a bunch of acid and crashing your pH to try to lower your TA, you may run the risk of damaging your SWG. If your want to use something to aerate your water that will speed up the process but is entirely unnecessary. Your FC is your highest priority though.

Finally, this forum is full of people volunteering to help others with their pool. We do not get paid, we do this to help others and thus are not always around to answer question instantly. We are all happy to do this, but we do ask for a little patience please. You will get answers to common problems like this, it just may take time. Thank you for your understanding of this, and Welcome to TFP!

The TA just pushes pH up and contributes to scaling. Otherwise it has no effect on things. Chlorine demand, algae growth, none of that is bothered. Swimmers aren't bothered by it -- you drink the same stuff and bathe in it!

When the pH hits 7.8 again, add acid to get it to 7.2. Over a period of time you'll notice it takes longer and longer for the pH to rise to 7.8 and it takes less acid to effect the change and the TA will be lower. Just ordinary maintenance will fix it.

Concentrate on maintaining pH in range and maintain enough FC for your CYA level and the pool will stay swimmable. More than swimmable -- it will get crystal clear and inviting and become the envy of all who see it.

Thank you Donaldson and Richard 320. I really do appreciate the advice. Will start immediately getting my FC up with bleach. One more quick question. Will it hurt my SWG to continue running it while I'm adding the bleach? Thanks again.

Thank you Donaldson and Richard 320. I really do appreciate the advice. Will start immediately getting my FC up with bleach. One more quick question. Will it hurt my SWG to continue running it while I'm adding the bleach? Thanks again.
Nope. Not one bit. The SWG is doing exactly what the bleach manufacturer does to make chlorine just on a smaller scale. What's coming out the returns already is bleach! So go ahead and pour it into the return stream and watch the yellow cloud spread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.