Hi was wanting to ask a question. We haven't used the pool this summer because of problems clearing it out. We just bought a D.E filter. Well after putting it in we noticed the jets have a very light flow. We just noticed that the main drain cover was taken off. Not knowing if this happened last year since it has not been in use. Well I'm wondering since this is off will this cause flow problems? We had someone come to see what was causing the poor flow through the Jets and he suggested we buy a new pump. He said it doesn't matter if there are rocks stuck in the main drain that even if he cleared that up we will still have a problem. I don't know if he is being truthful or if this is really a problem. It works fine when we have it in recirculate and backwash. We just have a weak flow once we put it on filter. I know there are rocks stuck in there because my dad went down trying to clear it out for us but he just couldn't stay down long. So I don't know if we should try and clear it out. Or listen to the pool company and just buy a new pump. Thank you in advance for reading my concern.

Hi was wanting to ask a question. We haven't used the pool this summer because of problems clearing it out. We just bought a D.E filter. Well after putting it in we noticed the jets have a very light flow. We just noticed that the main drain cover was taken off. Not knowing if this happened last year since it has not been in use. Well I'm wondering since this is off will this cause flow problems? We had someone come to see what was causing the poor flow through the Jets and he suggested we buy a new pump. He said it doesn't matter if there are rocks stuck in the main drain that even if he cleared that up we will still have a problem. I don't know if he is being truthful or if this is really a problem. It works fine when we have it in recirculate and backwash. We just have a weak flow once we put it on filter. I know there are rocks stuck in there because my dad went down trying to clear it out for us but he just couldn't stay down long. So I don't know if we should try and clear it out. Or listen to the pool company and just buy a new pump. Thank you in advance for reading my concern.

Heather,

A lot of pools don't have a main drain or it is normally shut off, so your issue with the main drain most likely has nothing to do with your weak pressure coming from the filter. A picture of your equipment pad, showing the pump, and valves, and the filter would really help us a lot.

If you can't post a pic, tell us how many pipes connect to the pump input, and if any valves are involved.

How may pipes go back to the pool from the SWG, and are there any valves in those lines.

How long after you installed the new DE filter did the problem occur?

What size is your new DE filter and how much DE did you put in?

When the water is going through the filter, what does filter pressure gauge read?

This is a good example where a picture is worth a 1,000 words.

Jim R.

If you have good flow on recirculate and poor flow on filter, the problem is the filter. If your water is green and/or cloudy or you just vacuumed up a bunch of crud, then the filter is clogged and needs backwashing and recharging.

DE filters work really good -- too good for swamp clearing. They'll load up in an hour at the beginning.

I will try and post pictures. Just trying to figure out this forum. The d.e filter is 48 sq. when I first turn on pump the flow is great for a good 20 minutes then in lowers. I did add d.e and the recommended dosage it says for the size of filter I have.

- - - Updated - - -

When turning the pump on the gage is at 24. It drops down to 10.
Yes my pool is cloudy right now.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you post pictures? Sorry learning here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we had some one do the pvc piping and it was done messy and not so great of a job. we have not been able to even get in contact with him anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how I manage to post it twice.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem started right after we installed the D.E filter. We had a sand before and the pressure was great. My husband wanted the DE filter so that is the only reason we got it. The filter is 48sq.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 88
Sorry, but your picture is about 900 words too short.. :lol: I should have been more specific. Please back up so that we can see the whole set up. Also take another one showing the piping going into and out of the filter. Try from a little distance back showing as much of the equipment pad as possible, from two different angles. Richard most likely has the problem nailed, but better pictures might allow ups to spot something. A pressure of 10 with a DE filter is just about what I would expect to see, so I'm a little puzzled.

Jim R.

Re: Main drain clogged

Yes I added D.E to the filter. It is 48 sq ft. The pump is flotec 1.5 spl. Just writing what it says on the pump. The pool guy said it was a 1hp.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. Just posted it there. Trying to learn where to post.

how much DE did you add? have you backwashed it and try to see if the flow is better? perhaps you just added too much DE? you are only supposed to add a little bit to get a 1 psi increase on your filter gauge. if you have stuff in your water, it will clog up pretty quick resulting in higher pressures and lower flow

Re: Main drain clogged

how much DE did you add? have you backwashed it and try to see if the flow is better? perhaps you just added too much DE? you are only supposed to add a little bit to get a 1 psi increase on your filter gauge. if you have stuff in your water, it will clog up pretty quick resulting in higher pressures and lower flow

She has a DE not a sand filter.

I rotated the pic for you.

You need to disassemble the filter, hose off all the dirty DE, reassemble & recharge with clean DE.
Even at 20 psi you should still have decent flow so there might be something wrong with the pump. I'd suggest taking the pump apart & see if there is anything blocking some of the vanes on the impeller.

Hopefully the pool is now algae free & the filter won't clog up so quickly. You should get a good test kit & S.L.A.M. the pool. That's the 1st steps to a trouble free pool.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison < Link to recommended test kits, TF100 is the most popular.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl < Link explaining the SLAM prodedure.

You have to get those rocks out of the drain. All I could determine from your pictures is there are two inlets going to the pump. One has a valve & one doesn't. Most likely one is for the bottom drain & one is for the skimmer. Do you know which has the valve?

If your vacuum connects to the skimmer then you could try to vacuum out the rocks. Skimmer basket will have to be in place, we don't want the rocks getting in that line.

I think your main issue is algae in the pool clogging up the filter. DE filters clog faster than sand filters. You said the water pressure is fine in bypass mode and low in filter mode. The filter needs to be backwashed when the pressure rises 20-25% over clean pressure. The pool needs to be Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain to get rid of the algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.