Total & Complete Intex Easy Set Newbie needs help with Chemistry

Jul 20, 2015
Memphis, TN
Hello! Glad I found this site/forum! We just got our 18'x48" Intex Easy Set and are about to fill it. It must be noted neither of us have ever had a pool or maintained them. I read the ABCs of Chemistry article but my main issue is simply not understanding (1) What chemicals in what form do we need to maker certain to have on hand once we test the water & get ready to treat it and (2) If levels are off, what do we *specifically* do in each instance to adjust, i.e "Low FC" or "Ph is off"?

Please speak to me like I'm a kid! I won't be offended...as long as you're helping me.

Thanks in advance! We are ready to learn so please wise people, share it!

kristin in Memphis, TN

Welcome to TFP! You've already made a good choice by coming here.

First things first, as Jecraigvt mentioned, is to get a good test kit -- either the Taylor K2006 or the TroubleFreeTestKits TF-100 are great. See the TFTestKits link in my signature.

Next, take a look at Pool School (upper right-hand corner of the page). The links in my signature are, IMO, the most important.

Never hesitate to ask any questions you have here at TFP -- the folks are always great to deal with and very patient.

Hello! Glad I found this site/forum! We just got our 18'x48" Intex Easy Set and are about to fill it. It must be noted neither of us have ever had a pool or maintained them. I read the ABCs of Chemistry article but my main issue is simply not understanding (1) What chemicals in what form do we need to maker certain to have on hand once we test the water & get ready to treat it and (2) If levels are off, what do we *specifically* do in each instance to adjust, i.e "Low FC" or "Ph is off"?

Please speak to me like I'm a kid! I won't be offended...as long as you're helping me.

Thanks in advance! We are ready to learn so please wise people, share it!

kristin in Memphis, TN

first thing you need is to order a test kit, see my signature that compares various ones. I think its clear the TF-100 is the best value ,but decide for yourself.

first thing you need to do is add stabilizer (CYA) to your pool. it can be found at Walmart and its called stabilizer. about $14 for a 4 lbs jug I believe. second thing you need to do is figure our your pool volume. do you have that? should say on the Intex box I would think. you go to the pool math link at the top and put in your pool size in gallons at the top. then you have two columns. the left one is current values in the pool, the second is where you put what you want to get to. for example...CYA will be zero when you fill up the pool. put the target (right column) at 40, then on the right it will tell you how much to add. easy!

you will need to stock up on bleach, the regular bleach, not scented, no spill, etc. just regular bleach. make sure its full strength 8.25% on the label. most people here buy from Walmart I think. you can check prcies.

get the test kit ordered asap, you will probably get it two days (ships from north Carolina).

basically get that CYA in there from day one, and then get your bleach (chlorine) in.

post test results and ask lots of questions.

Re: Total & Complete Intex Easy Set Newbie needs help with Chemistry

Thank you!

I'm also new and I think what helped me was actually getting the test kit and then putting the results into the calculator here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html . It will tell you which chemicals and how much to add based on your pool size. Pretty helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much! Yep, a legit test kit is on order but using a cheaper one first because it should be filled by tonight...

until you get familiar with pool math, I would recommend you post your pool's info and how much you are going to add and we can confirm.

I.e. I need to get my CYA up to 40. its currently at zero. my pool is 10,000 gallons. pool math says to add XX lbs of stabilizer...sound right?

etc.

a lot of things will get consumed but a lot of others (like CYA) do not, so you don't want to add too much. at that point only way to remove it is to drain a portion of your pool. not fun.

Thanks all! I took water to be tested at a pool shop and pH was great so all I had to do is get chlorine...but of course then it rained so now gotta mess with things a bit! Waiting on good test kit but janky one still reads ok after adding a bit more chlorine. I'm getting better at all this but I know I'll be back!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Total & Complete Intex Easy Set Newbie needs help with Chemistry

Had water retested today at Memphis Pool Supply & all is well! They sold me some strips to tide me over & will test for free if something goes wonky. Today was first day in the pool after a couple of days of rain then treating/filtering and it was FANTASTIC because heat index was 115!

- - - Updated - - -

"janky"= slang for "cheap & messed up"! We don't have a saltwater filter. So far just doing the dissolved puck thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.