When to do initial test

Jul 10, 2015
MIDLAND, TX
The pool is filled and we haven't added any chemicals yet. Do we test the water before adding anything? Also, we need to get the PH right before we add any bleach, correct? Can we work on the PH during the day or do we need to wait until evening like with the bleach. Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure we're doing things properly.

Yes, test the water first after it's circulated with the pump on for at least 30 minutes. Then you'll know what to add. For sure you'll need CYA (stabilizer) because there will be none in fill water. You'll also need bleach/liquid chlorine. You'll need a source of acid like muriatic acid to bring down pH. You may or may not need anything else. Test your water and post the results and we'll get you going.

CC looks a bit concerning. make sure you get some stabilizer (CYA) in there asap. plug info into pool math and figure out how much CYA is needed to go from 0 to 40. for now get your bleach in there to get your FC up to 3. keep an eye on that CC, you want that to be 0 or 0.5 max.

don't need to worry about TA right now, and your pH is in range. at the bottom of the range, but with higher TA that will come up from just running the pool.

Concerning that you have a CC of 3 already...was this well water or city water fill? Using pool math select trouble free pool at bottom for setpoint and enter your 5700 gallons at top. Target 30 to 40 for cya and 5 for FC and start adding the amount of CYA and bleach indicated. You can add either anytime...don't know where you read that bleach can only be added at night. You can add anytime.

Looks OK. Not sure where you got that much chlorine (FC and CC) from but some municipal water supplies do have some CC in them. Your new friend is http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html. Put in your pool volume on that sheet. Using the sheet, add enough bleach to get to 4-5 ppm FC. Calculate how much CYA you need to get from 0 to 30 ppm. It's a granular product so measure out that weight approximately and put it into a sock. Tie off the sock and hang it in front of a return. Keep the pump running and squeeze the sock occasionally until it all dissolves. Maintain at least 3 ppm of chlorine at all times. Check your pH daily and if it rises above 7.8, again use Pool Math to calculate how much acid is needed. Be sure to input your TA into Pool Math as that will affect pH and how much acid you need to use.

Could we have made an error on the test? Once the water becomes clear is it supposed to stay clear before getting the CC reading? We would add drops and it would become clear but then go back to pink super quick.

- - - Updated - - -

They just chlorinated our water not long ago.

Sorry I missed your post robertmee. Yes this was a city fill. I've read several things that say the chlorine has to work too hard to fight the sun during the day.

- - - Updated - - -

you stop once you get it to turn clear. then you are done. if you let it sit it will keep turning back to red/pink. you are only worried about the first permanent change.

I think I'll go do it one more time just to be sure

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've read several things that say the chlorine has to work too hard to fight the sun during the day.

that's why you add stabilizer/CYA to your water asap. it helps protect the chlorine and reduces the amount that gets burned off by the sun. The TFP method makes sure your chlorine (FC) is above the minimum needed based on your stabilizer (CYA) level. see the link in my signature.

Could we have made an error on the test? Once the water becomes clear is it supposed to stay clear before getting the CC reading? We would add drops and it would become clear but then go back to pink super quick.

I noticed during my SLAM that my samples would turn pink quickly after becoming clear when CC > FC.

As DaninFLA mentioned, you're done counting when the sample turns perfectly clear. I usually add one more drop to be sure, then subtract that last drop. Move quickly between the FC and CC test to avoid letting the sample turn too pink. I usually uncap my FC and CC reactants before I start. That way, once I'm done testing FC, I can immediately grab the next bottle and add 5 drops to test for CC.

Same goes for all the tests: You're done when another drop results in no further color change. It can be difficult to tell at first, but after a week or so you get used to the process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.