Build ABG pool with existing deck Help.

Apr 29, 2008
Our house has an existing deck that is 14 feet wide, 12 feet deep and about 30 inches high. We would like to put our new 16 foot the pool up to the deck so we can use a deck ladder to enter the pool and be able to watch people and children in the pool from the deck. The issues we are having are 1: The difference in elevation between the deck and the pool, and 2: the railings / safety requirement by the city.

1: First I don't think we want to bury the pool to make it even with the deck because it would be much easier for our children to climb into the pool from the yard. If the pool is installed on the ground it is a 52 inch steel barrier. I thought about making a small section of the deck that has step the go up to the top rail of the pool with a small platform so you can climb down the deck ladder into the pool.

2: The second issue is the building codes dealing the railings, fences, alarms ect. We have a few option but my wife and I are having trouble deciding what to do. The safest option it to put a 4 foot railing on the deck by the pool (currently we have a 3 foot railing) and have the pool ladder enclosed with a railing and a self closing self latching gate, and a magna latch (high gate latch so children cant open it). The issue is my wife thinks it will look horrible having the railing by the pool.

Option number two is to use our privacy fence around the back yard as a barrier and install a self closing self latching gate with magna latch and an alarm on the sliding door from the house to the deck. With this option we would not have to have a railing by the pool so it would look better, but the building inspector advised against this option because parents get annoyed with the alarm and end up disabling it and that is how a child drowns in the pool.

Please give me some feed back, suggestion, ideas ect. We need the help from our fellow TFP members to come up with a great plan so we can start construction in a few weeks. Thanks.

Can you post pics of the deck as is so we can have an idea of what you're working with? I think it may get you better advice but that's just my opinion. :wink:

I love imageshack.us if you are in the US. I think if you are in Canada you can use imageshack.ca. Not exactly sure about the ca though.

Also, it would help in the future if you put your location in you profile. You don't have to be specific, just a general location.

I think this is one of the biggest pains about AG pools, is the deck issue, especially when dealing with codes and ordinances. Below is a (fuzzy) pic of my deck. It is has two sections, a higher section even with our sliding door, and then a lower section even with the pool rail. The section even with the pool rail has a self-latching gate. So the kids can't get into the pool area, but the remainder of the deck is usable and has a staircase down to the ground. So maybe you could build "up" - and raise up a new section of deck, attached to the old section and gate it off. If the new deck area is large enough for a patio set, having it gated off won't look as strange. I agree if it's just a small section of deck it would look rather strange, having this railing sticking there. Plus kids like to jump off the deck into the pool and I think eventually you would be annoyed having a railing right there... Make sense? Do you have the ability to add a larger pool deck area, attaching it to the existing deck? Anyway that's basically what we did, and it is more time consuming than starting from scratch but we like the end result. Actually that's not true I wish the pool deck area was larger, truth be told.
poolandbaseball007.jpg

I think Pool Mom has the right idea if you want to maximize the deck that you have as a pool deck. I have the same issue...I had a deck...30 X 12 on the back of my house. Could not put the pool close to the deck. Big tree...However i have a big back yard, and chose to put the pool off of the deck about 15 feet, and put it in the middle of the yard. What I am doing is building a smaller pool deck on the other side of my pool. A free standing deck with the appropriate rails on it. I also have the pool fence around the pool that are attached to the pool. This was about $300 -$350 for the whole thing...you put it on your self...On my 54 inch pool I put the brackets on the upright post and the fence gives me about 6 feet or better of height. Last year we just had a self latching and locking ladder/step system and then filled in the gaps around the ladder with more fencing...That brought it up to code.

Codes are the biggest headaches in the world...You have to be very careful and if you are having the pool installed, please start getting permits at least one month in advance...I was told to wait to the two weeks before the installation, not to worry...there are so many hoops to jump through...you want to give your self extra time to make sure you get things done properly. I had problems in that no electricians really wanted the small job of running the dedicated circuit and line out to the pump...not worth their trouble apparently...the guys I found let their license lapse with the city, and were not taking the test again until a month later...I finally begged and pleaded and the city issued a one time license...so they could get it done before the installation began...Then they sat on the building permit...It was a hassle...give yourself time the permit doesn't expire.

Finally, depending on where you live, you could look at building a deck with dek block concrete deck piers...No digging...This is what I was going to do, but building inspector was against it. too much frost heave...they are not safe in more northerly climates.

Sorry it took so long for the pictures. I will be installing the pool. This pool should be easy compared to my last pool which was a buttress free 15 x 24 oval. I will be pulling a building and electrical permit for the work. I plan installing the pump and my aquatroll SWG in the garage and using an available 20 amp circuit to supply the power. All of the plumbing will be rigid pvc.

I think we are going to put the pool as close to the deck as possible as then take out one section of the railing. Then I will build steps so we can attach the pool deck ladder and have a small platform to access the pool. Then we are going to put a door alarm on the patio door and an extra lock at the top of the door so my daughter cant open the door herself. Then we have to install a magna latch and a spring to close the gate on the privaacy fence. We may make a gate for the stair going up to the deck with a latch and spring so my daughter can get on the deck from the yard. I have spoken with our build inspector a few time about the pool, but Iwil submit a drawing before I begin to make sure they are OK with everything. We codes a strictly enforced here. Let me know what you guys think.

16pool.jpg

3-11-09Deck002.jpg

3-11-09Deck003.jpg

3-11-09Deck004.jpg

imalittleturt said:
Sorry it took so long for the pictures. I will be installing the pool. This pool should be easy compared to my last pool which was a buttress free 15 x 24 oval. I will be pulling a building and electrical permit for the work. I plan installing the pump and my aquatroll SWG in the garage and using an available 20 amp circuit to supply the power. All of the plumbing will be rigid pvc.

I think we are going to put the pool as close to the deck as possible as then take out one section of the railing. Then I will build steps so we can attach the pool deck ladder and have a small platform to access the pool. Then we are going to put a door alarm on the patio door and an extra lock at the top of the door so my daughter cant open the door herself. Then we have to install a magna latch and a spring to close the gate on the privaacy fence. We may make a gate for the stair going up to the deck with a latch and spring so my daughter can get on the deck from the yard. I have spoken with our build inspector a few time about the pool, but Iwil submit a drawing before I begin to make sure they are OK with everything. We codes a strictly enforced here. Let me know what you guys think.
Check out this site...it may be helpful with your add on...
http://www.deckplans.com/decks.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.