Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Landscaping fabric under pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Landscaping fabric under pool?

I will be putting up a new 16 foot 52 inch above gound pool next month at our new house. I was pondering the idea of putting the black landscaping fabric down under the pool before we lay down the sand to keep weeds and grass from growing up through the liner. I would like to use the black fabric that will allow water to drain through but will prohibit vegetation from growing through. It this a good or bad idea. Let me know your thoughts.
    Patriot Arcadia 15' round 52". Pentair Clean and Clear 100 sqft Cartridge filter, 1HP Optiflow pump, Goldline Aquatrol SWG. 2 - 4'x20' solar panels roof mounted. All rigid PVC plumbing. Resin Solar reel with 8mil Thermo-tex solar cover. 14 x 12 deck.

Ovation 15'x24'x52'' AG. Pentair System 3 150 SQ foot cartridge filter, 1 1/2 HP pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Landscaping fabric under pool?

It's a good idea from my knowledge.
    A ground fabric should be used whenever putting a different material on the soil to prevent mixing of the materials. This happens every time the ground freezes in the winter. And then as you says it also prevents weeds from growing. But moslty for not mixing the materials. Weeds can't come through a thick layer of compact sand or macadam bed generally.
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I'm sure in favor of that, but I'm also not confident at all that it will prevent nutgrass from growing through it. If you want peace of mind, sprinkle some Zapzit or similar product on the soil before you add the ladscaping fabric.
    http://www.swimmingpool.com/

"Leave the gun...take the cannolis"

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by budster
    I'm sure in favor of that, but I'm also not confident at all that it will prevent nutgrass from growing through it. If you want peace of mind, sprinkle some Zapzit or similar product on the soil before you add the ladscaping fabric.
    Budster is correct. We used the black fabric under our intex pool one summer, without treating chemically for vegetation, and by mid-summer had a lovely little bed of 'seagrass' (aka nutgrass) at the bottom of the pool. It did not leak until DD decided to do a bit of gardening and pulled the weeds!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5

It sounds like a good idea to use. Anything extra that protects, and it should save on the weeding around it (somewhat).
    Artificial Palm Trees and NEW Palm Tree MAILBOX- http://www.xtremelytropical.com -- Get your mail delivered in the "tropics" and create your own backyard tropical oasis with your own artificial palm trees!

6. Back To Top    #6

In our area, some people use it, some don't. Our installer the Zapzit crystals that kill weeds long term. We also dug down the deep end far enough into the clay to get below the root line of most plants (though not mesquite trees- not that weed fabric would bother them anyways). He also put a layer of plastic under the sand to create a barrier to material mixing, but it was heavy painters plastic, not fabric, and he could not put it on the slope from the shallow to deep end as the sand would not stay on the plastic slope. The he put tar paper - the stuff that is used on roofs under shingles. Then the sand went on top of that. The tar paper and plastic are not just for weeds, but also to prevent burrowing critters (moles, gophers, etc) from coming up under the liner. See pictures below.
    I have a friend who has had an AGP for many years. When they did their liner replacement last year, they used the weed fabric. Their liner was 8 years old, and for the last couple years of its life they had been patching weed holes. I guess we will see what happens as time goes on. I use the thick high quality weed fabric in my garden, and have learned that some weeds can grow in anything.
    I thought about putting plastic or fabric under the rocks that lay around the perimeter of the pool, but from experience know that bermuda grass will still grow in it, so that area will just get treated with round up several times a year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!