Need new pump for IG pool. Will pump for AG pool work ok?

May 25, 2007
I have a 21,200 gal IG VL pool. Older pool, only built with a side skimmer and one floor drain in the deep end. The deep end drain went bad a few years back so I have it plugged.

In this instance, will a pump for an AG pool work ok as it only has to draw water up maybe 20" to prime and feed the pump, but when I vacuum it will be drawing water from the 8' deep end. Problem?

Pump that went down is a pentair whisperflow 3/4 hp 2 speed. Only 5 years old. Motor is the problem, if I go with a replacement motor instead of a new pump, what are the chances that I can simply remove the old motor and install the new without needing new seals, etc?

Thanks for prompt replies. I need to get something ordered today for delivery tomorrow.

Some aboveground pumps require a flooded suction. If you choose one of those then it won't work on your inground pool. However some can lift water a few feet, in that case you'll be fine.

Having said that, I agree that replacing the motor, shaft seal and plate gasket is probably a better way to go.

As stated above - it depends on if the pump require flooded or if it can lift water. I have an old Hayward PowerFloII (3/4 HP) That I can use (and have in the past) as a pump for my inground pool. The Pentair Dynamo series pumps can also do a modest inground pool. And both of these are nominally sold as "above ground" pool pumps.

And as mentioned- replacing the motor / shaft seal/ plate gasket is also an option, especially with something like a Whisperflo. Just make sure you get the correct parts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.