restarting a foreclosed pool

Make sure to test your well water for metals before you use it. Don't want to cause more problems.

It would be a good idea to test it even if you end up not draining the pool.

IF you do choose to drain your pool you will need to leave at least 1 foot of water in your pool to make sure no damage is done to the liner.

You CAN clear it just using bleach/chlorine. I am not sure if draining and refilling will help speed up your SLAM. I guess the thought is that your will have some non-algae water in the pool BUT during the time you are draining and adding water your "old" water will be sitting and the algae will keep growing.

I guess it is 6 of one and 1/2 of another.

Kim

IF you do choose to drain your pool you will need to leave at least 1 foot of water in your pool to make sure no damage is done to the liner.
Just to clarify:
Leave 1 foot in the SHALLOW end of a vinyl pool to avoid the liner floating, and only go that low if you're confident that the water table isn't too high.

If I had been able to safely drain during my foreclosure, I would have rented a trash pump for the bottom to nail some of the sediment. If you decide to go this route, that would be a great option for you.

You can always pump off a few feet, then add water to bring it back up to protect the liner.

Re cleaning the liner, honestly, your slam will do it for you. Since you're on well, you may also have/get metal oxidization and ergo stains, but the metal treatment will take care of those. You can't avoid the slam in this case no matter what you do because you need to sanitize everything, so let it do some of the work for you ;)

Its also worth noting that you never want vinyl to dry out...it can shrink and lift. So exercise caution with the notion of manually cleaning the liner. Your energy is honestly better spent with a leaf rake and wheelbarrow ;)

Capture.JPG
We had the water tested and the
Iron comes back @ 0.891 mg/L
Hardness is @ 391 mg/L

I already picked up a sump pump to empty the pool. I feel our water table is pretty low. If I could get the water down 2 ft. I think I could get out all of the solids witha pair of waders. I guess I'm mostly concerned withe the water quality and time to fiill it.

Unless I did the math wrong, that's about 22 grains of hardness...not too bad.

Your iron at .891 mgl, which equals .891 ppm, is about half as bad as mine. Staining can occur at .3 ppm, just so you know.

I'm with you on the partial drain to reduce gunk level, but maybe you'd want to grab a couple of these to put on your hose to refill: Amazon.com : Pre Fresh Garden Hose End Water Filter all purpose, pool, spa, hot tub, pets, car wash : Garden Hose Parts : Patio, Lawn Garden

The filters have an 8,000 gallon capacity. They seem to keep iron out of my spa, which is closest to hard water spigot. My pool is on soft water, long story, but its how I now manage my iron load via dual whole house softener system. ;)

I'm a wee bit leery of the idea of waders and gunk collection while the water level is down, only because the water is actually what holds the liner in place. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but in your shoes, I'd let the trash pump do the work and use a leaf rake and leaf gulper to net out the gunk...from land ;). The leaf gulper uses a hose to create vortex to help lift leaves : Amazon.com : Pre Fresh Garden Hose End Water Filter all purpose, pool, spa, hot tub, pets, car wash : Garden Hose Parts : Patio, Lawn Garden -- it was a back-saver for me ;)

Lastly, re sanitation...this is just me but I would seriously be applying chlorine/bleach to knock down smell and pathogens, especially if you plan to wade...without the test kit to know when you're holding FC, that will be tough, but if you apply 5 gallons right before handling stuff and stir it around there's a chance some will hold. It would not hurt to use gloves and wear a mask. I did ;) There are a lot of pathogens that love swamp water...like giardiasis.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.