Garland, TX
FC 2
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 90
CH 400?
CYA 100+
Temp 54
So it looks like I have some problems, I couldn't get the CH test to turn blue so not sure what that level really was but draining the water to lower the CYA should fix the CH, too. I did not test the CYA last year so I'm not surprised it was high. I've been fighting a small algae problem which is no surprise since I've been keeping the FC around 2 all last summer. I've been using Omni 3" tabs since the pool was built 3 1/2 yrs ago so surprised to see the CYA so high, does that seem normal?

I'll have to search here how to drain the pool or call my builder, the calculator says I need to drain 60%. Dumb question - can I use the drained water to water my yard or do I just run it down the storm drain? Not sure if the chlorine would be bad for the yard.
The calculator says to add 224 oz of bleach now to get the FC level up. Would it be "close enough" for now just to add a 182 oz jug?
Thanks,
Wes

Hi, Wes,

Welcome to the forum. When you get a chance. put your town and state in your profile. It helps on the advice we give. (I looked at your other post to get DFW but it's really helpful to have that in your profile)

Recheck your test methods on the CH test. You may well have done it perfectly but it's not uncommon to make a mistake on that test when you first get the kit.

If all checks out, I would suggest you drain the pool to reduce CYA and CH but do it in partial drains rather than one big one. Draining that much of your pool all at once can be troublesome but it's pretty easy to drain out maybe 30%, then drain 30% again and test your results. You can certainly water the yard with it

You'll need to wean yourself from the tabs....that's causing your CYA issues. There's several options but rather than overwhelm you with all that, I would first go ahead and make plans to get the pool back properly balanced. Then we'll address how to best get it chlorinated without runaway CYA.

Thanks Dave,
Got the profile updated, that was the easy part. I'll drain 1/3 next week-end and start from there. On the CH test, the color turned a very faint pink/blue when adding the R-0012. I noticed it after ~40 drops and then kept going to ~55 drops to see if I could get a better blue but not a real noticable difference with more drops. I dumped a 182 oz jug of bleach in the pool to raise the FC, hopefully that will help between now and next week-end.
Otherwise, the water looks clear and I don't have any algae right now. It's supposed to get into the 80's later in the week so that might get the water temp up into the 60's. Once it hits 70 I'm in.

Hello Wes,

There's been a lot of discussion about the CH test, which a number of people (including me) had a hard time getting straight at the beginning. It seems that in this test the reagents don't mix as easily as in the others, so you have to be a bit more careful. There was a discussion about this in the following thread that I found to be very useful:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/ch-test-ending-color-t9397.html?hilit=floaties

In one of the posts in that thread there is also a reference to waterbear's tips on doing the test. I found this discussion very useful, especially the bits about the "floaties". Hope it helps you, too.

Welcome ... Gary

duraleigh said:
You can certainly water the yard with it
Check with your city/county water department; while it may be okay chemically, it is not necessarily okay legally. In my area, backwashing can go onto the yard, but for actual draining it must go into the sewer, not the ground or the storm drain.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.