High CYA, TA and CH

May 19, 2015
Woodland Hills, CA
I have maintained my pool myself since it was built, and thought I was in good shape. I joined TFP and bought a TF-100 test kit. Then I noticed CYA 325 (due to use of tablets,) CH 925 and TA 170. Despite all of this, the pool is sparkling and I have no algae. I brought the CYA down to 200 using Bio-Active [3 times]. I'm back to liquid chlorine and no longer use my tab feeder. Chlorine is 3 and pH is 7.5. TA lowered to 150 so far. I know I need to drain the pool. I have never done this. Due to drought conditions here in the Los Angeles area I am debating waiting until the fall, or perhaps paying to truck in some filtered water and do it now. Do you recommend I drain the entire pool and should I do it now? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. :wave: I am sorry you got taken by the bioactive junk. All the reports on this forum indicate it simply does not work.

I can't comment on whether or not you should drain (nor can others, I think) because we have no idea what restrictions you are on. It seems to me that none of the rest of us have the information at hand that you do so you would have to make that call.

How did you measure your CYA of 325?

Your chlorine is far too low for that CYA level. I'd try to target 24ppm and not let it go below 20ppm in the pool and see how much that requires you to add each day to see if that will keep it clear and if it's cost effective. If it stays clear, you will at least be able to determine your daily chlorine costs to see if it's cost effective vs paying fines. I think with high cya most of it will hold through the day.

Duraleigh: Thank you for your reply. I measured the CYA with my new TF-100 test kit. Filled to the lower line w pool water and the rest with plain water. Spill out half and fill again with plain water. Spill out half and fill with CYA test agent. Mix: wait: mix and slowly spill into test tube. Unable see black spot at about 80. Multiply by 4 to get to 320. I did this several times to make sure of my reading.
Bio Active: First use dropped CYA to 240. Second use dropped CYA to 200. Called BioActive and they said CYA should have dropped more - did I add chemicals to pool during days following use? Answer: of course, chlorine to keep levels at about 4-5 FC. They said possible poor result due to so much CYA leaching from plaster or due to adding chemicals while the bioagent was working. Third use did not change readings.

Last night and this morning, I did chlorine drop test. It went from FC 5 CC 1 to FC 3 CC 1 overnight in pool water at about 84 degrees. Obviously something is consuming chlorine, even though the water looks really clear and I see no visible algae on walls. DE Filter cleaned 3 weeks ago. I can't see swimming in a pool with FC levels at suggested by DanielP. I am going to drain and refill. Its very dry here and I do not believe I have a water table problem that will cause my gunite and steel to lift up, but I plan to drain 3/4ths of the water in my 18k gallon pool and refill with trucked in water if the cost is not completely crazy.

Despite all of this, the pool is sparkling and I have no algae.
My question is if your pool is OK, even though your chemicals are out of whack, are you experiencing problems? If not, I'd leave it alone, and let winter rains dilute it on it's own, then be really conservative on next year's start up. As long as you aren't eating something up or causing permanent damage, that's what I'd consider.

Aren't you having a lot of rain? That should help, as should keeping the pool level very high so when it does rain, you get more "overflow".

Just got a little rain. Not enough to make any difference. I guess I was blissfully ignorant before I got my TF-100 kit. Since I stopped using my tab feeder, to avoid further increasing my CYA level, I am putting in a lot of liquid chlorine. As I posted before, my chlorine is dropping overnight, so something is going on. Time to bite the bullet, drain and refill, and then I'll get a SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.