Bad Start to the Season!!!

Jul 18, 2007
So I have had a rough start to the pool season. It has rained and snowed like crazy in Atlanta, GA this weekend. While it was doing this my pool cover pump broke overnight and was pumping the water right back onto the cover. Long story short the cover ripped off from the tracks because of the weight and I've been forced to open my pool early. So I managed to get the cover rolled back, filled the pool with probably close to 15000-18000 gallons of water, got the pump started, etc.

The pool is quite green and I ran a water test after I had already shocked it....mistake #2. Last year I dealt with extremely high levels of CYA and had to use maximum chlorine all summer. I was so in the habit of shocking with high volumes of bleach I put in about 8 bottles of 6% bleach. Here are my results of recent water testing:

FC = at least 35 probably more
pH=8.2 (maybe slightly higher)
Alk=50
Ch=50
CYA= 10 or less
Temp=it's very cold and snowing

Any help would be appreciated to help me get back on track.

An FC of 35 in a green pool will drop very rapidly....you'll probably need more in a couple of days if the temp warms up.

1. I'd reduce the pH to 7.5 with acid

2. If your sure of your test result, I would use baking soda to bring up the TA to 100 or so...retestthe pH

3. Keep your FC above 12 or so until your pool clears....running the pump 24/7

4. As the water warms bring your CYA to 30-50

5. Adjust your CH when you get the time to somewhere around 200.

Thanks for the quick reply...just a few more questions:

Does the high chlorine have an effect on the ph? i.e. could it drop a little as the chlorine level comes down? I was thinking about waiting several days to make any more changes. Should I start adjusting the pH now?

You can probably wait but it'd be a good idea to get it into measurable range....below 8.2....it could be even higher.

Yes, it does temporarily raise pH but I don't think it would've raised yours that much. Others may have a more accurate answer.

The PH test is not at all reliable when the FC level is that high. You should completely ignore the PH reading until the FC level is below 20, and expect it to read a bit higher than actual until the FC level is 10 or lower. Very high FC levels interfere with the PH test and cause it to read at 8.2 even if the PH is far lower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.