Are all pool lights able to be removed under water

jfpool

Jul 18, 2015
Huntsville, AL
My breaker keeps tripping. I went to the junction box and found out the main pool light is the cause. I have done some research on how to take a light out and change the bulb. Can ALL pool lights come out while the water is still high? It seems so from the info I have found on this site and you tube. I think the gasket is leaking b/c my son swears that he can see water behind the glass when he swims. I want to take the light out and place on the deck to air dry then test. But since this is my first time, I wanted to make sure ALL lights can come out when the water is high.

They all should have enough cord to reach the deck. What an installer might have done in the past is unknown, but I'd bet it will reach the deck.

Welcome to TFP!!!

If the light is a pool light and it was installed in the last 30 years then the light fixture is designed so you should be aboe to remove a few screws and pull the fixture up onto the deck with sufficient cord to allow that. All that can be done without draining or getting into the pool.

At least that is how its supposed to be -- No guarantees as to what was done on your pool.

thanks, that gives me the confidence to get this done then. I am hoping the breaker trips only b/c of a gasket leak and not a casing leak. I have seen videos on changing the casing with folks saying you can do it under water and some say you have to remove the water to change the casing b/c you have to apply silicone where the wire comes out into the niche.

Does anyone want to place there opinion or state fact about whether or not you can pull wire and replace the casing while the pool is full (of course I will only be doing this if the casing is leaking and causing my ground fault)?

thanks, that gives me the confidence to get this done then. I am hoping the breaker trips only b/c of a gasket leak and not a casing leak. I have seen videos on changing the casing with folks saying you can do it under water and some say you have to remove the water to change the casing b/c you have to apply silicone where the wire comes out into the niche.

Does anyone want to place there opinion or state fact about whether or not you can pull wire and replace the casing while the pool is full (of course I will only be doing this if the casing is leaking and causing my ground fault)?

You don't need to apply any silicon unless there is something wrong with your conduit feeding the light. Changing the light is fairly easy if your conduit is okay.

Here's how I'd suggest going about it:

Shut off the breaker for the light

Pull the light and put it on the deck.

Disconnect the wiring at the junction box.

Try pulling the old light cable back and forth in the conduit to see if it moves freely.

If the cable moves, cut the cable near the light. If the cable doesn't move, you may find it very difficult to proceed.

*If you are extra careful like me, you might want to temporarily wire the new light into the junction box and power it up briefly to verify it works. If you can't switch it on and off quickly, put it in the water for cooling.

Tape the end of the new cable to the pool end of the old cable. Really, really well.

Pull the old cable out from the junction box end, which will pull the new cable in.

Mount the new light in the niche.

Wire to the junction box.

Verify it still works.

John's instructions above are very good. Follow those and you should not have a problem.

If the cord does not want to move you may have to call an experienced electrician who is good at cable pulling.

Light fixtures and cords are single integrated parts and must be replaced together. You can't buy separately and you can't splice cords.

I'll just make a comment for future reference. Not all pool lights are designed to be opened under water. Fiber Optic lights aren't, for one. I know these are "special" lights and not many people have them, but I thought I'd post this in case someone reads it and thinks ALL lights can be opened under water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.