Day 3 of SLAM, little change

Jul 13, 2015
Southeast Michigan
I am on my third day of my SLAM and I haven't seen any dead algae on the bottom. The water is still clear like it was prior to the SLAM and I keep getting the brown/green spots appearing on the bottom. I brush or vacuum them everyday. I don't think I have as many as before but they are still appearing. The skimmer sock also turns green and I have to change it twice a day. I also took the ladder out today and cleaned it.

How long should this process take? Am I doing something wrong?

FC 28
CC 0.5
CYA 70

Honestly, the duration of a SLAM varies drastically for each pool based on the condition of the water and diligence of the owner. The accuracy of the CYA plays a critical role as well since you can imagine (for example) of someone on your position was treating perfectly for a CYA of 70 (FC of 28) when actually their CYA was higher, therefore never maintain the proper FC level. I'm not implying your CYA is wrong, just using that as an example. But simply, the fact that you continue to see green algae spots and accumulation in your skimmer soak tells me you still have some SLAM ahead of you. I trust you've removed any ladder (you did this), light covers, steps, etc to ensure there are no hiding places correct? Cleaned your filter really well each day once or twice? Well, just hang in there and maintain. Certainly keep us posted - better or worse. Good luck!

Do you think I should rise my FC just in case?

- - - Updated - - -

Oops I accidentally clicked post. Yes I have removed everything ( I don't have much).

Should I raise the FC in case my cya is incorrect? I am reluctant to raise my FC too much since we are FINALLY getting good weather here in Michigan and I want to swim! :)

You have to go with your gut and TF-100 on this one. Maybe do another CYA test just to confirm? After you mix the bottle and do the first viewing test in the tube, pour it all back to the mixing bottle, shake again, then pour/test in the tube a 2nd, 3rd time? I've done it 3-4 times just to confirm what my eyes are trying to see (black dot). But when you're sure of the CYA, then just stick with it. :) Remember the rule about testing it outdoors with the sun at your back as well right?

I had to SLAM 3 times this year to finally get the pool clear. During the 1st 2 SLAMS we were still getting lots if rain and I was not completing the process. When CL dropped to about 12 the pool started turning gray then green and I has t start over.

I reread the SLAM tips and started last Thursday July 9 PM. Pool Math numbers were not working showing "Shock 15 Mustard 24"
recommended. At above 25 I still had new algae for 3 days so I dialed the pool up to 35 and kept it above 32 for 4 days of constant brushing and vacuuming.
After 7 days I passed the OCLT test at 29 pm 29 am.

Unfortunately there are no shortcuts to this process. Now waiting for CL to return to normal, it is dropping about 2ppm per 24hours.

My advice is USE MORE BLEACH and stay with it and check bleach dates.

PS I have been using the Clorox regular 8.25%. At Houston stores it is usually 2-3 weeks old.

I found the slam method to be an extreme waste of time!
One the above posters said 7 days per shock. What? really, why? Why waste so much time and effort?

Last year, I spent 3-4 days each time and many gallons of bleach. Kept ch level, ph, ca, etc at levels described. So, there's no using the pool for that time.
I have a lot of trees and the algae kept coming back a few weeks later. Yes, I thoroughly cleaned the filter, light, walls, ladder etc. soooo much work.

I then used the Xtra blue pool shock, and haven't had any problems since.

In fact this year, I simply used this shock on opening with normal cleaning routine, and haven't had one algae issue all season thus far. I haven't even shocked the pool since opening in early May.
Other than using my robot, I haven't manually cleaned the pool at all this year (since opening) with exception of a 1 routine de filter clean.
Since opening I've used very little chemicals this year as well. A touch of dry acid because SWCG seems to allow ph to rise. Last year I had to add a lot of acid along with bleach.
Enjoy your pool and don't waste the time with constant shocking and cleaning.

I'm sure someone will tell me that the Xtra blue is just some bs made up by the pool stores to get consumers to waste their money, and the chemicals used will kill my family, but I found it to be very inexpensive (less than $10), much more effective, no more harmful than extremely high chlorine, and much less time consuming than slamming.
I'm enjoying my pool this year, and not constantly working on it.

Last year, I spent 3 days each time and many gallons of bleach. So, there's no using the pool for that time.
I have a lot of trees and the algae kept coming back a few weeks later. Yes, I thoroughly cleaned the filter, light, walls, ladder etc. soooo much work.
In fact this year, I simply used this shock on opening with normal cleaning routine, and haven't had one algae issue all season thus far.
Other than using my robot, I haven't manually cleaned the pool at all this year (since opening) with exception of a 1 routine de filter clean.
Since opening I've used very little chemicals this year as well. A touch of dry acid because SWCG seems to allow ph to rise. Last year I had to add a lot of acid along with bleach.

If you had Algae coming back, it was no fault of the SLAM. You either did not complete it, or you failed to maintain proper Free Chlorine after the SLAM. No two ways about it, Algae only grows in pools where there is an inadequate amount of Free Chlorine. It is impossible for Algae to start, or survive where you have enough, and there is no argument about that.

Also, if you had kept the pool balanced, there would never have been a need for a second or third SLAM if you did the first one correctly.

Lastly,this will be the last post in this thread regarding your SLAM. If you would like to discuss it further, I would love to do so, and be happy to create a new thread for that discussion elsewhere in a thread of your own. This one will not be hijacked any further with this subject matter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last year, I spent 3 days each time and many gallons of bleach. So, there's no using the pool for that time.
In fact this year, I simply used this shock on opening with normal cleaning routine, and haven't had one algae issue all season thus far.

We never recommend anything with copper in it and xtra blue shock is dichlor + clarifier + copper so by using this you are adding CYA, metals and who knows what from the clarifier...

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/f4/f4ad5a54-b6d8-4d25-9088-d3b7a35ebd17.pdf page 2 has the data..

I have gone to 3 pool stores and spent who knows how much money on chemicals that did nothing. People telling me to throw bags of shock into my pool with no idea what my levels are except chlorine and ph on a little tester. I can honestly say I've learned more about my pool in the last two weeks than I have in my 4 years of going to pool stores. If the SLAM method didn't work, you may have done something wrong. It really is time consuming. Yes, the chlorine was very high but I went in anyway and just didn't go underwater. I got a little dry but that's it. My water is finally clear after a few weeks of ongoing algae :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.