Leak-Proof a Brand New Pentair Intellibrite Light

Hello everyone,

I'm posting this to a new thread to avoid confusion with a similar thread (many thanks to those who responded);

I have had a Pentair SAM light for many years and it has leaked through the bushing where the cord enters the fixture 3 times, each time requiring a replacement seal around the lens, and a color-wheel motor. This time the leak finished off the light, and I need a new one. I am probably going to re-use the existing niche and install a new Pentair Intellibrite LED light.

Some online user experiences I have read left me concerned that the Intellibrite follows the same design as the SAM, and the leakage problems as well.

I have heard there are many ways to enhance the seal around the cord bushing before installation by using something like butyl tape, AB Putty, RTV silicone, etc. I am looking for suggestions on the best sealant that I can apply to the cord entry point.

Attachments

• IMG_20150712_140245.jpg
    IMG_20150712_140245.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Thought I would update this thread to possibly assist others as I have covered a lot of ground since my original post.

I consulted with a Pentair rep who I have dealt with previously and trust. He said the LED lights do not have the same leak issues as the SAM light did around the entry point of the power cord. Their experience has been that sometimes upon installation, people change from the wide (default) to narrow beam by removing the lens and rotating it 1/4 turn - however this requires a new gasket! Even if you do it once! Thus the leak because most do this without a new gasket. Still as an extra measure I will apply the RTV silicone around the cord entry before installing the light.

On the installation side, I tried a come-along on both ends of the old light cord and she was not going to budge in the conduit. The solution was to switch from 120 volt to the 12 volt version (bought a 300w transformer) and re-use the old cord by splicing the cable at the wet end to the new light and seal the connection with a waterproof, silicone enhanced, heat-shrink seal. That's going to be done professionally next Tuesday, if all goes well I'm done spending money this year.

Except my 13 year old millivolt heater quit and I'm going for a big-dog 400k Raypak. THEN I'll be done spending money. Then my kid starts college next month. Nevermind...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.