cracked pump pot rim

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
Our Pentair Optiflo pump has been leaking. Yesterday, while cleaning the rim of the pump pot, I noticed a crack around the rim where the lid attaches. I feel sure that is from my husband over-tightening the lid. Is there some type of product I can use to seal this crack?

You will need to replace the pump pot. If you have the model number of the pump you should be able to order a new pump pot. Here is an example of the parts list for this pump. PENTAIR

You can try to epoxy the crack but you run the risk of not being able to get the pump lid back on, or epoxying the lid to the pot. Also the epoxy may not hold under pressure.

Not really. You can try epoxy but that pump basket actually moves alittle bit and I suspect it will re-crack.

Hand tight is more than enough on ALL strainer basket lids......tell him to chill! :D

Just to update, in case anyone has a similar problem. We disconnected the pump, dried it well, and I applied an epoxy glue on the cracks - wiggling the plastic just enough for the glue to seep into the cracks. I wiped it with denatured alcohol afterwards to make sure it was smooth. After 4 hours we replaced the lid, hooked up the pump and turned her on. So far everything has improved dramatically. I think that crack was causing multiple problems in the filtering of the pool and we didn't even realize it.
Don't know how long this fix will hold. Hopefully until after the season and then we will buy a new pump pot for next year.

I would buy the pot now. The fix gives you some time but it may crack tomorrow or next season, you simply don't know. Buy it so you have it handy, if it holds for a year, great, but if it quits in a week, you won't have to wait.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.