duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
On this cold, dreary day in NC, I hope you find this pool build interesting.

My goal was to build a pool with the skills I was capable of.....that eliminated plaster and gunite. Also, I really like some characteristics of a vinyl pool so I ended up with this hybrid.

I did virtually all this work with some help from friends when we needed manpower. It took forever. I could do it much faster and smarter now but, with a little luck, plan on never building another one!! :-D[attachment=14:5ocn2tiw]Poolbluild1.jpg[/attachment:5ocn2tiw][attachment=13:5ocn2tiw]Poolbuild2.jpg[/attachment:5ocn2tiw][attachment=12:5ocn2tiw]Poolbuild3.jpg[/attachment:5ocn2tiw][attachment=11:5ocn2tiw]Poolbuild4j.jpg[/attachment:5ocn2tiw][attachment=10:5ocn2tiw]Poolbuild5.jpg[/attachment:5ocn2tiw][attachment=9:5ocn2tiw]Poolbuild6.jpg[/attachment:5ocn2tiw][attachment=8:5ocn2tiw]Poolbuild7.jpg[/attachment:5ocn2tiw][attachment=7:5ocn2tiw]Poolbuild8.jpg[/attachment:5ocn2tiw][attachment=6:5ocn2tiw]Poolbuild9.jpg[/attachment:5ocn2tiw][attachment=5:5ocn2tiw]Poolbuild10.jpg[/attachment:5ocn2tiw][attachment=4:5ocn2tiw]Poolbuild11.jpg[/attachment:5ocn2tiw][attachment=3:5ocn2tiw]Poolbuild12.jpg[/attachment:5ocn2tiw][attachment=2:5ocn2tiw]Poolbuild13.jpg[/attachment:5ocn2tiw][attachment=1:5ocn2tiw]poolbuild14.jpg[/attachment:5ocn2tiw][attachment=0:5ocn2tiw]Poolbuild15.jpg[/attachment:5ocn2tiw]

Attachments

• Poolbluild1.jpg
    Poolbluild1.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 6,543
  • Poolbuild2.jpg
    Poolbuild2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 6,462
  • Poolbuild3.jpg
    Poolbuild3.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 6,437
  • Poolbuild4j.jpg
    Poolbuild4j.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 6,437
  • Poolbuild5.jpg
    Poolbuild5.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 6,429
  • Poolbuild6.jpg
    Poolbuild6.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 6,617
  • Poolbuild7.jpg
    Poolbuild7.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 6,420
  • Poolbuild8.jpg
    Poolbuild8.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 6,410
  • Poolbuild9.jpg
    Poolbuild9.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 6,411
  • Poolbuild10.jpg
    Poolbuild10.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 6,833
  • Poolbuild11.jpg
    Poolbuild11.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 6,414
  • Poolbuild12.jpg
    Poolbuild12.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 6,409
  • Poolbuild13.jpg
    Poolbuild13.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 6,429
  • poolbuild14.jpg
    poolbuild14.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 6,421
  • Poolbuild15.jpg
    Poolbuild15.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 6,450
Yes, John. The liner covered the steps as well and I had two pages of diagrams and measurments for the steps and 2 other pages of diagrams and measurements for the rest of the pool. As it turned out, they got the wrong radius on the corners so they had to produce another liner because the documentation was pretty clear. The mis-manufactured liner they didn't want back so I cut it up to use for tarps.......heavy but very waterproof :-D

Thanks, Henry. Here is the only photo I have of the liner showing the color....it also shows how the corners were made wrong.[attachment=0:166rii68]048linertoobig.JPG[/attachment:166rii68]

Attachments

• 048linertoobig.JPG
    048linertoobig.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 6,095
Wow - great work!

Would you mind sharing details of the tile work around the pool. How is it holding up. Is the grout working out?

I have a lot of ceramic in my home and most of it is doing very well, but there are some spots in a shower that the grout is cracking - is there a special grout for outside that you recommend.

Many thanks
Mom

Holy COW!! That pool is GINORMOUS!! :shock: Very cool build...I like the choice of deck and waterline materials around the pool - so visually NICE. Wish I had technical questions, but I'll leave those to the experts around here. The land is gorgeous...makes me want to move back to the country...very scenic there. Enjoy the pool...and thanks for all your many contributions here (esp. the very cool TPF-100 test kit I can't live without now). :goodjob:

duraleigh said:
Yes, John. The liner covered the steps as well and I had two pages of diagrams and measurments for the steps and 2 other pages of diagrams and measurements for the rest of the pool.

I had considered a similar pool construction myself until I lost access to the backhoe and truck. Measuring the liner was the thing I was worried about the most.

The steel in the corners was a great idea. I think it would be tough to clean 90 degree corners, and it would probably have been tough to get the liner in there just right.

I think it would be tough to clean 90 degree corners, and it would probably have been tough to get the liner in there just right.
Absolutely agree on both counts. I suppose the liner would've been close to impossible to get all four corners lined up. Because of it's size, it was not easy anyway. Cleaning would be a constant headache. We fit it as carefully as we could on the steps and then let everything fall where it would from there. All in all, the liner folks did an almost perfect job of making it to fit (at least, on the second one).

Mom and Pop,

The scum line tile and decking are both just like new. It's four years old now with no cracking. IMO, all because of good prepwork on the soil underneath the concrete. I compacted every 6 inches of fill and then let it sit for almost 4 months before we actually poured concrete.

Your shower tile is most likely cracked because of movement in the subfloor underneath. Johnbridge.com is probably the best tile forum on the net. They were my resource for learning how to do the tile.

I used the mid-grade thinset and grout made by Custom and available at Home Depot. Nothing special for outdoors. This brand was recommended by John Bridge.....he thinks it's the best on the market. I certainly have no reason to disagree.

Hi Dave!
The more proof I see on what a light bottom does to the water the more convinced am I that white(in one shade or another) is the colour for us.
Interesting pattern btw, I guess it's designed to conceal dirt on the bottom. Maybe something to consider...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
can i ask why u just didnt order a pool kit??
Sure. I wanted a masonry looking pool with tile on the scumline and the decking to overhang (cantilever). Virtually no one realizes it is a liner pool until they get in the water and feel the smooth surface. It's also quite a bit bigger than kit pools.....that was my wife's idea! :roll: :roll:

What an amazing pool build duraleigh! 8) Your pool is HUGE!

Hi, rev,

Johnbridge.com taught me how to do the tile around my pool and, since, how to install a really nice frameless shower.

Like this forum is loaded with pool experts, they are likewise loaded with tile experts. There are several regulars on there that are truly funny while dispensing great advice. :lol:

Thanks, everyone, for those nice complements. I do not think I could gather the mental fortitude to build another one. I'll let the pros do the next one. :lol:

Dave,

Picture of filter (not quite hooked up). I installed the equipment inside a new garage.

It's a triton II TR140...140gpm. As I learned on the old PF, a bigger filter is a good thing and mine has proven to be a super investment. It has been absolutely troublefree for 5 years.

As a very important side benefit, it sorta makes you feel like Tim the Toolman to show it to folks. :shock: :shock:

Attachments

• temp_filter.jpg
    temp_filter.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 4,853

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.