low CH

isriam

Jan 15, 2015
PHX
I need some assistance in low CH. I was testing about 200 after a 50% drain of my pool. Went to the pool store and asked for CH+ or calcium +. They gave me 4lbs of some stuff, I can't remember the name, in blue bucket. I've looked at pool math and googled calcium chloride but can't seem to find the friendly bbb version?

My readings after using the CH+ from the pool store is now 175 which makes me kinda concerned either with my test methods or of what they gave me.

You need to post up what it is the pool store gave you. Look on the bucket and tell us.

As far as calcium goes, you might be able to find calcium chloride in the concrete department at Lowes or Home Depot, but then at this time of year, maybe not. Its used in concrete mix to keep the water in the concrete from freezing in cold weather constructions.

There is not a grocery store item to use for calcium. Some brands/ mixes of Ice Melt, which you sprinkle on the side walk to melt ice is acceptable, but I doubt you'll find any of that this time of year either.

More info on adding chemicals, what they are and what they do here,
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Tell us the current CH in the pool and the CH of your fill water. If you are around 200 and your fill water is too then I wouldn't add more because CH will increase as you replace evaporated water. The calcium stays in the pool when water evaporates. The only way to lower CH is to drain water from the pool and replace it with water that has lower CH than the pool water.

What test kit are you using?

I usually have 300lbs of DowFlake Calcium Chloride on hand for ice melting- great for CH rise

I think the OP is just north of Dallas, and they got a bunch of snow this past winter, As DD said at Home Depot & Lowes, 50lb bag of Calcium Chloride flakes for under $20.

If this coming winter is like your last, you may want to stock up.:cool:

I usually have 300lbs of DowFlake Calcium Chloride on hand for ice melting- great for CH rise

I think the OP is just north of Dallas, and they got a bunch of snow this past winter, As DD said at Home Depot & Lowes, 50lb bag of Calcium Chloride flakes for under $20.

If this coming winter is like your last, you may want to stock up.:cool:

It better NOT be!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.