Hayward Prologic T-Cell 15 SWG help plzzzz!!!

ashmoussa

LifeTime Supporter
Hi TFP,
First and foremost, I LOVE :lovetfp: TFP!!! I cannot say enough how much this forum has helped me maintain a crystal clear pool since the beginning and it has been a piece of cake!

However, and I might be doing this completely wrong, but I have been trying to get my FC up to about 4+ppm but I can't seem to get it there with my SWG. When I first started using the SWG, I was easily able to get my FC up in the 4-7ppm range with relatively low % output. But its been getting harder to maintain higher levels over the past month. I try to up the % on my SWG but its not making a difference. Plz see snapshot of my tests.
Screenshot_7_19_15__10_55_AM.jpg
FWIW, I run my pump 3 hrs in the morning (10am - 1pm) and 3 hrs in the afternoon (4pm - 7pm), thats 6 hrs total. Should I be running the pump longer maybe??

Also, just as a sanity check, how are my numbers otherwise??

Thanks for all your help TFP community!!!

your screen shot is barely too small to read.. but, you may have to run you pump longer to keep up, maybe an hour longer at night and see where that get you..

The answer is that you need to run the SWG as long as you need to maintain FC. Every pool is different. I am running mine at 60% for 8 hours a day right now to maintain 8-9 ppm at 70 CYA. We swim a couple of hours a day during the week and many hours on the weekend. As the heat and swimming ramp up the SWG needs to ramp also. Or use some bleach to help out on the weekends with big swimming days. If your SWG starts to fall behind then it is only a matter of time before algae starts growing and using up FC faster than the SWG can produce it. Always be sure to supplement your SWG with bleach as you are trying to ramp it up. It is always MUCH better to have too much chlorine than not enough. It is safe to swim with FC up to shock level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart. We swam every day during a SLAM for a week and a half with FC between 25 and 28.

Thanks all for the information/tips! Makes sense.

I hope this pic is clearer:

So I should run the system for about 8 hours for starters?

The system is 3 months old.

PoolDV, I noticed your FC is at 8-9ppm @ 70CYA. So should I have my FC at 8-9+ppm since my CYA is @ 70-80??
Thanks again!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 11.29.21 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 11.29.21 AM.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 47
James, you know whats funny? The pump came on at 10am and its now 12:45 and the system says: "Chlorinator off, Percentage met".
Now at 70% output, does that make sense??

To answer my question, the SWG % is directly related to the amount of run time the pump is on. I have it scheduled as follows:
1. 10am to 11pm @ 2588 rpm
2. 11am to 1pm @ 1758 rpm
3. 4pm to 5pm @ 1758 rpm
4. 5pm to 7pm @ 2588 rpm
So when in time slot 2 (11am to 1pm "2 hours total"), the SWG turns off when it reaches 70% of the amount of time the pump is on which would be around 1.5 hrs into the cycle which would be approx. 12:30 ish.

Makes sense????

Those diagnostic readings look good. It's working correctly. The chlorine got behind the demand and the output wasn't enough. Maintain fc at 15% of cya for one week. Slam if needed.

I notice on your chart there are consistently .5 CC readings. Any time I see even .5, that means something is eating the chlorine in my pool. Its pretty easy for a low level of algae to be consuming enough chlorine to make it difficult to maintain a proper level. I always find the answer is to boost the level with bleach for a while and see what happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the same SWG, with a 20k inground pool. I run the pump 9.5 hours/day and set my SWG most of the time at 25 to 30%. I'm able to maintain chlorine at 7 to 8 ppm, with CYA at 70. I find this is what has worked best of our pool.

I would recommend deciding where you want your FC to be. Then add liquid chlorine/bleach to reach that level. Then use your SWG to maintain that level. A 6 hour run time doesn't seem enough to me so you might want to bump it up. It can be frustrating in the beginning getting your SWG dialed in to the percentage you need and your pump run time, but once you do, all should be good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.