Can I run pool vacuum with water level lower than port?

Apr 27, 2014
Central FL
Doing work on my nightmare pool (tile at bottom steps, pool light other stuff). Therefore, water level is low, just below bottom step.

For a little while the pump/filter was off, pool got nasty. Now I have it back on during the day, but just filteringfrom bottom drain. Hope that's enough.

Anyway, since the water is below the vacuum port, can I run it? I really need to get this griminess off the bottom. I tried to turn it on but it didn't work, left it on a minute thinking I just needed to let enough water prime through the lines, but it didn't seem seem to be working and never "grabbed" the bottom like it normally does when it is vacuuming and shaking and pulling itself around the bottom of the pool. Didn't happen. Also, the returns stopped spewing water out in the pool, and went down to a trickle.

So is it possible to still use? Maybe I didn't 'seal up' the port well enough and it was pulling air through?

4zgvBrR.jpg

I would think that you would get too much air in the system with all the the ports out of the water. I wouldn't run my pump either for fear of burning it out.dump bleach to about 10ppm in the water you have there and use ur brush to move it around. Use a manual leaf rake to get the solids out.Just keep adding bleach to that nasty water. Maybe you can clear it up. Heck, just finish draining it and start fresh

I would think that you would get too much air in the system with all the the ports out of the water. I wouldn't run my pump either for fear of burning it out.dump bleach to about 10ppm in the water you have there and use ur brush to move it around. Use a manual leaf rake to get the solids out.Just keep adding bleach to that nasty water. Maybe you can clear it up. Heck, just finish draining it and start fresh

I really would just drain it all the way down. Just worried about the water table here in Central FL. But, that means I'd have to get all the way in the nasty a** pool to try and open the hydrostatic plug (I think I have one in the main drain housing). Any ideas how I can accomplish that?

Is this in fact a hydrostatic plug (earlier picture)?
image.jpg

If so, anyone know how to remove? What type/size tool?

I would not drain completely until water table is confirmed. How deep is the deep end? Are you able to dig a small hole by the pool to that depth?

Dom

I would use a sump pump. You can probably rent one cheap. Maybe wait until your ready to refill and pump and run the hose at the same time. Flip the water around. That plug is probably just a plug in the box that isnt plumbed.

That plug is probably just a plug in the box that isnt plumbed.
(1)Even if it were a plug that isn't plumbed, wouldn't it still do the job of a hydrostatic plug by removing it? Wouldn't the water still come through it into the pool?

Also, just to confirm,(2) it's not ok to run the pump at all even if only from the main drain? I just want to keep filtering it as much as I possibly can while the water is down to keep it from getting too bad..

Both those questions are equally important to me to know and I very much appreciate everyones help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.