Just purchased a home with a 30,000 gallon above ground pool using Pristine Blue

When we moved in the water was a nice crystal clear blue and in the past two weeks even after using the instructions provided by the previous owner the water has turned green already.

I've done some research and it seems green algae-infested water is common when using Pristine Blue but it also seems like using this instead of chlorine can be a better way to keep a pool clean.

Does anybody have any experience with Pristine Blue? Should I stick with this or would you recommend we start using something else instead?

Thanks in advance for your help!

............... I've done some research and it seems green algae-infested water is common when using Pristine Blue but it also seems like using this instead of chlorine can be a better way to keep a pool clean
Welcome aboard.

That statement contradicts itself.

I regularly circulate the water and use chlorine as a sanitizer and my pool does not turn green with algae.

As far as a clean pool goes you have to brush (sweep) and vacuum, and have a correctly sized filter.

Dom

Welcome :wave:

No, I have no experience with Pristine Blue.

My pool has had nothing but Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach), Muriatic Acid, and Trichlor pucks - during vacations only - for the last five years, open 365 days a year, and it's never been green. It was cloudy once for a day, after a big storm, but that's the extent of my pool grief.

You might see what is in the older threads about Pristine Blue using the search function

No NO NOO.....pristine blue is NOT a replacement for Chlorine...it's an algaecide only...it does not kill bacteria at the levels used in a pool. Chem Geek I believe actually was successful in getting the EPA to change Pristine Blues labeling to specifically state that it's only good for bacterial odors BUT not any good for killing human bacteria or viuses.

Any info on Pristine Blue?

No NO NOO.....pristine blue is NOT a replacement for Chlorine...it's an algaecide only...it does not kill bacteria at the levels used in a pool. Chem Geek I believe actually was successful in getting the EPA to change Pristine Blues labeling to specifically state that it's only good for bacterial odors BUT not any good for killing human bacteria or viuses.

Any info on Pristine Blue?
I hope the OP comes back to read that thread and does not put their family in that pool!

Dom

I hope so too...it's amazingly deceptive advertising on Pristine Blues part IMO. If you go to their website they list their product as a bacteriacide but with an asterix. If you read the asterix at the bottom it just says nonpublic health. What is that? I had to look it up on EPAs website:

Types of Antimicrobial Products
Antimicrobial products are divided into two categories based on the type of microbial pest against which the product works:
Non-public health products are used to control growth of:
algae,
odor-causing bacteria,
bacteria which cause spoilage, deterioration or fouling of materials and microorganisms infectious only to animals. This general category includes products used in:
cooling towers
jet fuel
paints
treatments for textile and paper products.

Public health products are intended to control microorganisms infectious to humans in any inanimate environment. The more commonly used public health antimicrobial products include the following:
Sterilizers (Sporicides): Used to destroy or eliminate all forms of microbial life including:
fungi,
viruses,
all forms of bacteria and their spores.

As you can see Pristine Blue doesn't do anything for killing things that make you sick.

As you can see Pristine Blue doesn't do anything for killing things that make you sick.
Well, yeah, Robert, but you can use it in jet fuel.......can your stupid ole' chlorine claim that?? :shock::shock:

(Sorry for posting nonsense....I just hate Pristine Blue and all it stands for)

I hope so too...it's amazingly deceptive advertising on Pristine Blues part IMO. If you go to their website they list their product as a bacteriacide but with an asterix. If you read the asterix at the bottom it just says nonpublic health.

It was far more deceptive before the EPA went through a re-registration of all copper-based algaecide products. Pristine Blue used to claim to be a bactericide, but that was an incorrect claim. Because copper does kill some bacteria, albeit slowly, it can legitimately be claimed to control (i.e. kill faster than they reproduce) bacteria that cause problems not related to human health. For disinfection claims, that requires a much faster kill to help prevent person-to-person transmission of disease and the EPA DIS/TSS-12 is that standard which chlorine products pass but copper products do not.

So the EPA compromised with industry to let them claim some bactericidal effect but not for public-health bacteria. They can no longer claim to be a disinfectant.

By the way, the EPA DIS/TSS-12 standard requires 6-log reductions in Escherichia coli in 30 seconds or less and 6-log reductions in Enterococcus faecium in 2 minutes or less. This is roughly equivalent to what 0.4 ppm FC with no CYA at a pH of 7.5 can do. Note this is a rather extreme standard and does not take into account CYA. Products with CYA passed the test because the test starts out with water with no CYA in it and Trichlor and Dichlor don't add enough CYA to be a problem. In water without CYA, 1 ppm FC of Trichlor with it's 0.6 ppm CYA added is equivalent to 0.77 ppm FC with no CYA while 1 ppm FC of Dichlor with it's 0.9 ppm CYA added is equivalent to 0.65 ppm FC with no CYA. This is in part why the minimum FC level for these products is 1 ppm.

The minimum FC/CYA level we recommend on this forum to prevent algae growth is equivalent to around 0.06 ppm FC with non CYA so is around 6-7 times lower than the EPA DIS/TSS-12 level. It is still a fast kill and in practice commercial/public pools with far lower FC/CYA ratios don't get outbreaks or reported disease transmission issues so the EPA limit is too extreme. For commercial/public pools a reasonable ratio might be 20% or perhaps not lower than 10%. For residential pools, the risks are much lower so if it weren't for algae prevention, an FC/CYA ratio in the 2-3% range would be reasonable enough for disinfection and also oxidation of bather waste in such low bather-load pools.

I hope the OP comes back to read that thread and does not put their family in that pool!

Dom

I think I managed to get myself a stomach bug already by swimming in it but fortunately I tested before putting my 11-month old daughter in the pool.

Looks like I need to read through all of pool school and forget about Pristine Blue.

I liked the idea of treatments once every two weeks but I can see that's not realistic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.