Jandy Cartridge Filter Leaking At Base

im going to bump this thread as i have the same problem. i just cleaned out my whole cartridge assembly, reassembled it - turned the pump on with the air valve opened and the canister was solid, but i have a SLOW leak on the drain. could i have overtightened it? i really didn't go crazy on it. how tight should it be? don't think its cracked but of course i don't know for sure. this is the first time i've cleaned it - dang it was FILTHY! edit: reading more posts, JasonLion posted a while back that a non-hardening teflon paste on fittings larger than 1.5" is better than the tape - i tried the tape and it was a big fail - would that solution work on a drain?

The first couple of times I removed the drain plug in my Pentair cartridge filter it leaked. I had to tighten it quite a bit more than I expected and it stopped leaking. My drain plug has an o-ring, no thread sealers should be used with an o-ring.

You need to reassemble the filter slowly and carefully. I don't use my drain plug I bail (actually 11 year old daughter bails). So take it apart again. Put it back together really tighten the drain plug all slowly and carefully. On my third time it did not leak.

There is no O ring, it's a plastic screw on cap, I ended up looking for and finding a non hardening Teflon sealant I brushed on. Last nght it didn't stop the leak once it pressurized....I still had a slow drip. Didnt drip when punp wasnt on. This afternoon it stopped leaking though. Maybe it just needed some time to set or something. So as of now, it seems okay. I'm going to bail it next time, seems like a pita but would eliminate any future leak issues. Thanks guys!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.