What happens when you brush your pool?

wjaneala

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2015
Cullman, AL
Brushed today and with every pass, little brown clouds appeared. Pool was SLAMmed several days back and has not dipped below recommended FC. Please tell me this is normal when brushing? :calm: Water looks great.

FC: 6
CC: .5
pH: 7.8
TA: 110
CYA: 40
CH: 200

Wendy, a few questions first please to help evaluate your situation:
1 - You're positive it's a brown-looking cloud huh? No chance it's green?
2 - Was your pool filled with city or well water?
3 - Has this happened before, or is this the first time?
4 - Do you know when was the last time the sand filter was thoroughly cleaned?

Thanks in advance for the clarification. :)

Thanks for the quick reply. You seem to have ruled-out some of the typical areas of concern (iron, sand, etc). But I just thought of this seemingly ridiculous question: Any chance that it's simply just dirt? May sound silly, but when I have a busy bather's load in the pool, I find it amazing how much dust/dirt gets brought into the pool from our feet, body, and even the weather. If I let my pool go 2-3 days without sweeping, I definitely have a light-brown "dusting" on the floor. Any chance this may be what you are experiencing?

Speaking of dirt, any chance that after the last sand replacement, something wasn't replaced properly allowing a small amount of sand to enter the pool from the return jets?

The only other thing I can think of would be algae-related. To confirm you would be best served to do an OCLT to confirm. Your thoughts?

I'm thinking you're right-on with the dirt idea. Lots of swimmers, plus lots of leaves and flowers have blown into the pool in the last few days due to wind and storms/rain.

Sand was replaced in April, so I don't think that's it.

I'll do an OCLT just to be sure.

Thank you!

Now you see WHY you brush. It's like dusting the furniture. You'd think the dust would all fall to the floor, but, no, it sticks to vertical surfaces. If I go too long and use the wall whale brush, it leaves a dust cloud in its wake like a truck on a dirt road.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.